Defining leadership

Gen. Colin Powell lectures to over 4,500 of guests at the Humphrey Coliseum Wednesday night, speaking about leadership strategies and service.

Former Secretary of State Gen. Colin Powell lectured on key leadership traits and characteristics during the keynote address of the second annual Leadership Summit to approximately 4,500 guests Wednesday at the Humphrey Coliseum.
    Powell became the 65th secretary of state in 2001, having previous worked as an aide to the secretary of defense and as national security advisor to former President Ronald Reagan. He served 35 years in the US Army and received the rank of four-star general. During his time as chairman of the joint chiefs of staff (1989-1993), he managed 28 crises, including the 1989 Panama intervention and Operation Desert Storm in the Persian Gulf War.
    Powell said human connections are essential to leadership.
    “Everything I know about leadership I learned as a young lieutenant in the Army,” he said. “The essence of leadership is your followers; leaders have to dedicate themselves to their followers.”
    Four integral leadership strategies include establishing a sense of purpose, equipping individuals with the right tools, recognizing achievement and willingness to deal with problems, Powell said.
    “MSU has great plans, but its leaders know they [the plans] are worthless without the best facilities and professors,” he said. “It isn’t enough to have PowerPoint slides or conferences: You must give skills and tools.”
    Powell addressed aspects of leadership by using the issues of 9/11 and terrorism, the current economic turmoil, education and energy.
    After 9/11, the United States made security a priority by establishing a system to determine why individuals were coming into the country, he said.
    “9/11 was such a shock to all Americans; we had to ensure that it wouldn’t happen again,” Powell said.
    Because of tightened security measures, the number of international students in American universities has decreased, he said.
    “We want students [from around the world] to come to our universities, but numbers have dropped,” he said. “We’ve got to start moving the pendulum in the other direction.”
    Powell said enabling students to attend American universities allows them to have the tools they need to succeed, which they can in turn take back to assist their countries and help build their societies.
    “We’re a nation that touches [others],” Powell said. “We must not lose that.”
    While the university systems across the nation work well, Powell said there must be revitalization in the children’s education system.
    “America must invest in its schools,” he said. “Our problem is K through 12.”
    He said America must be the world leader in the fight against global warming, as research, conservation and finding efficient fuel sources will help Americans be faithful stewards.
    Powell encouraged students to look past themselves by living a life dedicated to service.
    “Always make sure you are giving back to your community and society,” he said. “Service to others is a part of life today.”
    Following his address, Powell took three questions from a student panel, including one asking if his personal beliefs ever conflicted with the president’s beliefs.
    “My job [as secretary of state] was to give the president my best advice,” he said. “If you ever find your moral beliefs are inconsistent with the beliefs of the president, then you leave. I never had to do that.”
    Athletic director Greg Byrne said hearing Powell speak was an honor, and it gives the university a great focus. He said Powell heavily addressed the American education system in an earlier meeting, maintaining that the university systems work well, but elementary, middle and high schools need work.
    “[Powell said] the African-American community has a 50 percent [high school] drop-out rate,” Byrne said. “That’s something we all have to be responsible for.”
    Student Association President Braxton Coombs said Powell presented an exceptional leadership speech.
    “He’s a true, genuine leader,” he said. “[Powell is] looked up to [across the nation],” he said.