BREAKING: MSU Police Department reports early-morning abduction attempt, gunfire

The Mississippi State University Police Department is currently investigating early-morning reports of an attempted abduction and a gunshot around Hathorn Hall.
    At approximately 4 a.m., MSU police received a report that a firearm had been discharged in a parking lot behind Hathorn Hall.
    In a statement published on the MSU Web site, MSU Chief of Police Georgia Lindley said the Saturday situation involved three individuals.
    “Our preliminary interviews with witnesses indicate that a female student, 18, was on the passenger side of a vehicle when approached by a male she described as African-American, wearing black clothing with a bandana covering his face,” she said.
    As the female student was approached by the masked male, another male student was waiting for her in the area, Lindley said.
    “The black male showed the female a gun and asked her to leave with him. She quickly ran toward her male friend, also 18,” she said. “Both reported hearing a shot fired as they left the area.”
    Lindley said campus and local officials are conducting an aggressive investigation into the incident.
    “We encourage anyone with more information to call us at 325-2121,” she said.
    The Reflector will report updates about the investigation as they are released.