Hoops to face first big tests

At the end of the week, we’ll have a better idea of how good our men’s basketball team is.
    So far, the Bulldogs have dominated their competition, winning all four of their games by an average of 29.5 points. State has been dominant defensively, blocking more than 13 shots per game and holding opponents to a painfully low 29 percent shooting from the field.
    Offensively, the Bulldogs have been hot, shooting better than 50 percent from the field, including a blistering 42 percent from three-point land.
    In the SEC, State trails only Tennessee in scoring, averaging 85.3 points per game.
    So what do we know about the 2008-09 Bulldog basketball team?
    Not much. The schedule hasn’t exactly been strenuous. So far, the Bulldogs have played teams from the Summit League, the Sun Belt and the Northeast Conference. Those teams are a combined 2-8 with wins over Troy and Morehead State. The Bulldogs have also faced Div. II North Alabama.
    Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not diminishing State’s accomplishments. I applaud the administration for allowing State’s young players some time to get their feet under them before the true tests come.
    My point is that this team is about to have its mettle tested for the first time and I, for one, am excited to see what the young Bulldogs can do.
    Tonight, the Dawgs hit the road to play St. Bonaventure of the Atlantic 10. MSU head coach Rick Stansbury has continually pointed out that playing on the road is tough, and St. Bonaventure’s Reilly Center is certainly no exception.
    ESPN has rated the Bonnies’ home as one of five “Worst Places to Play.” The Bonnies are even less experienced than the Bulldogs, however, and return only three players from last season’s squad. Let’s call it a rebuilding year for St. Bonaventure.
    After facing a rebuilding mid-major in a very hostile environment, the road gets even tougher as the Bulldogs head into the championship rounds of the Legends Classic in Newark, N.J., along with three other undefeated major-conference teams.
    Friday, MSU faces off with Washington State. The Cougars have three dominant wins under their belts. That game should prove to be a defensive war, as the Cougars are allowing even fewer points per game than the Bulldogs.
    Last year, WSU earned a four seed in the NCAA tournament, making its way to the Sweet Sixteen before falling to top-seeded North Carolina.
    On the other side of the Legends Classic bracket are Texas Tech and Pittsburgh.
    Pitt is 4-0 and ranked No. 6 in the country. Like WSU, Pitt earned a four seed in last season’s tournament after besting No. 1 Georgetown in the Big East tournament championship.
    Pitt squares off Friday against 4-0 Texas Tech, a member of the Big 12. So far the Red Raiders are off to a fast start, averaging more than 100 points per game thanks to a 167-point showing against East Central University (Okla.). State will face either the Panthers or the Red Raiders Saturday.
    The week will be very telling for the young Bulldogs and should be a lot of fun to watch.
    Brandon Wright is the sports editor of The Reflector. He can be reached at [email protected].