New AC/DC CD ‘Black Ice’ revives rock royalty

AC/DC is “Back in Black.” Rolling right off the track on the “Rock and Roll Train” is the band’s first brand-spanking-new album in eight years, Black Ice.
    The album is its best since 1990’s The Razor’s Edge and arguably since 1980’s Back in Black. Released on Oct. 20, Black Ice debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 album chart – and for good reason.
    From the very beginning, AC/DC shoots to thrill. Starting out with the up-tempo lead single, “Rock and Roll Train,” AC/DC leads us on a musical journey that will leave you “Thunderstruck.” AC/DC emanates an energy and youthfulness it hasn’t exacted in years.
    The kings of simple rock ‘n’ roll fans will be pleasantly surprised by the experimentation on the album.
    Singer Brian Johnson foregoes his screeching on some songs, guitarist Angus Young pulls out the slide on “Stormy May Day,” and “Rock and Roll Dream” is the first ballad-esque song I think I have ever heard out of them, and I am an avid fan.
    The riffs are harder than those on the band’s last album, Stiff Upper Lip, and generally more up-tempo and catchy. If good, old-fashioned, simple rock ‘n’ roll is what you like, no keyboards or computer modifications, then Black Ice is the way to go.
    On that note (no pun intended), reeling in at 15 songs, Black Ice is three to five songs too long.
    Drummer Phil Rudd beats out the same eighth note on practically every AC/DC song ever, including all but one song on Black Ice.
    Despite its claim to the contrary, AC/DC has always been a singles band, especially in it later years. With few exceptions, its simplicity translates into monotony after a while of listening through a whole album. AC/DC could easily have cut about three or four “filler” songs off this album.
    With the renewed popularity of ’80s style rock and the comebacks of so many classic rock bands (e.g. Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Ozzy, Motley Crue, Rush and others), it was only a matter of time before AC/DC answered the trumpet’s call.
    Despite its slight imperfections and experimentations, Black Ice triumphantly answers that call by swabbing together a collection of classic rock songs.
    Songwriting is still the penultimate musical skill, not virtuosity or the quantity of instruments. But, as AC/DC would put it, “It’s a Long Way to the Top if You Want to Rock ‘N’ Roll.” It’s hard, and not always popular, but you have to credit them for having “Big Balls.”