Low Marks

Mississippi State University has received a near-failing grade in sustainability and eco-friendliness according to an annual study conducted by Harvard University’s Sustainable Endowments Institute. The D-plus grade, which ranks near the bottom of the nation and last in the SEC, was given as a part of Harvard’s College Sustainability Report Card. The study looked at the top 300 universities in North America and their efforts to become more energy-efficient.
    The report card graded each university in nine different areas, including administration, student involvement, dining services and endowment transparency. The categories were graded based on responses given by university administrators through online surveys and phone-based conversations.
    Jim Jones, director of Mississippi State’s office of campus planning and sustainability, said he does not believe the university’s low marks portray an honest representation of MSU.
    “I do not believe that the overall grade is reflective of all that is being done at MSU,” Jones said. “We have recently begun some data collection on what is and has been done. Not all of it was included in the survey as it was not known.”
    The study notes the university has yet to sign on to the American College and Universities Presidents Climate Commitment pact. This commitment encourages college presidents to promote research in combating climate change through each of its respective institutions. Nearly 200 other institutions have signed onto the agreement.
    Jones said he does not know whether the university will become a member of the commitment but will look at new programs to become more environmentally friendly.
    “MSU is committed to continual improvement in our sustainability posture,” he said. “I believe that the new administration will evaluate many programs on campus in a few months, and wise and prudent actions will be developed and implemented.”
    Student involvement at MSU received some of the lowest marks in the nation. The study gave the MSU student body a D grade for its lack of a student environmental movement.
    Student Association President Braxton Coombs said he expects MSU students to perform better in coming years due to upcoming initiatives.
    “I have recommended having an environmental affairs committee in next year’s SA administration,” Coombs said. “But the main thing this year is the start of a recycling program on campus. It’s in the works now and should be good to go in the spring semester.”
    MSU dining services finished near the bottom third of the study with a C grade. The report commends the university for providing recyclable to-go containers and purchasing food from area farmers. The study did not note whether any university eateries used energy-saving appliances.
    Receiving both the lowest and highest grades on the report were the categories of endowment transparency and university investments, respectively. MSU received Fs in both visibility of endowment funds and shareholder engagements. The university received its only B for its willingness to invest in renewable energy investment funds.
    John Rush, MSU vice president of development and alumni, said though MSU does not keep endowment investments private, the university does not have the resources to keep investments public and up to date.
    “It’s not that our information is private, it’s just we don’t have a mechanism to keep everything current and accurate,” he said. “Your Harvard Universities and Duke Universities have their own internal endowment investment firms — For us it’s not feasible.”
    Cincinnati-based Fund Evaluation Group maintains MSU investments and decides where to place university endowments.
    “[With an outsourced mechanism, it seems like] you don’t know … who your money is invested with … You just have to trust their strategies,” Rush said.
    For more information on the College Sustainability Report Card visit greenreportcard.org.