Okie group Hinder set to drop into Rick’s on Jager Tour

The Jagermeister Music Tour will make a stop in Starkville Monday at Rick’s Cafe and will bring with it platinum-selling rock collective Hinder.
    Also performing will be New York garage-rock band Rev Theory and Mississippi heavy-metal rock band Splendid Chaos.
    The tour, which is now in its seventh year has featured a number of hard-rock and metal groups including Stained, Slayer, Alter Bridge and Disturbed and has featured up and coming groups like Mastadon, Pepper and Three Days Grace.
    Rick’s Cafe owner Rick Welch said Hinder, known for its hit “Lips of an Angel,” is one of the biggest acts ever to play at Rick’s.
    “We were lucky enough to be the only place that the tour is coming in Mississippi,” he said.
    Welch said Splendid Chaos, hailing from Jackson, is a really talented group of musicians and has been playing at Rick’s for a long time.
    Welch said Jagermeister sponsors a lot of up and coming artists.
    “They do a tour every year to feature a large artist and local bands,” he said. “We are really proud to be one of the stops on the tour.”
    Welch said the show, in addition to being the only stop in Mississippi, may open the way for future stops on the Jagermeister Tour.
    “If there is a big crowd then hopefully [the tour] will come back every year,” Welch said.
    Originally from Oklahoma, according to the band’s Web site, Hinder was founded seven years ago when lead singer Austin Winkler met guitarist Joe “Blower” Garvey and drummer Cody Hansen while they were in local bands.
    “I kept on running into them and partying with them, Winkler said. “We got together with one song and playing it about 75 times.”
    The group signed with Universal Records after competing in a competition held by an Oklahoma City radio station.
    The group’s first album, 2005’s Extreme Behavior has sold over three million records, propelled in part by “Lips of an Angel.” The group is now touring in support of its most recent release, Take It to the Limit which was released on Nov. 4.
    Sophomore education major Wes Hand said Hinder’s popularity would draw plenty of attention from music fans to take advantage of.
    “They’re very popular, and I’lll probably go to the concert,” Hand said.
    Having a band that big play in Starkville, Hand said is an great opportunity.
    “How many chances do you get to see someone that popular,” he said.
    Sophomore English and history major Kara Chamberlain said she was excited about the upcoming show.
    “We don’t get that many big bands,” Chamberlain said. “We’ve had some like Ingram Hill, Corey Smith and OneRepublic.”
    Chamberlain said Hinder puts on good concerts.
    “I heard them at a music festival in Memphis,” she said. “Their show was lots of fun.”
    She agreed that hosting larger acts like Hinder will draw larger bands in the future.
    “It will bring more attention to [Starkville] and hopefully it will bring other big bands [to the area,]” she said.
    At Rick’s Cafe on Monday Splendid Chaos will play at 8 p.m., Rev Theory at 9 p.m. and Hinder at 10 p.m. For ticket information see rickscafe.net or call 323-RICK.