State should join Big East

Last week I went to Tuscaloosa to cover MSU’s game against Alabama. The atmosphere far surpassed anything I had seen in five years at a football game Starkville.
    However, anyone who has been to an MSU baseball game can attest that enough State fans could create one of the best atmospheres in collegiate sports if given proper motivation.
    Last year, I saw my first sellout at 55,000 seat Davis Wade Stadium. MSU’s last home game, against Kentucky, could have been played at a high school the attendance was so low. Four of MSU’s five home games this season have had attendances of less than 45,000. Five SEC rivals have had more than 90,000 at each home game. With stadium expansions expected across the conference, it becomes harder and harder to stay competitive in the SEC. I propose Mississippi State’s athletic program should seriously pursue joining the Big East.
    Mississippi State’s athletic budget sits last in the SEC; in the 16-member Big East, MSU would be ninth. State’s 12th ranked SEC attendance last season would rank third in Big East football. Instead of trying to compete with LSU, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee, State could play against Rutgers, Cincinnati and Louisville. MSU’s worst football seasons would result in simply being bowl eligible.
    Even with few professional prospects, the Big East even gets national respect in football. Over the last three seasons, only the SEC has had more teams ranked in the top two in the BCS standings. West Virginia nearly took LSU’s spot in the national title game last season before a loss to Pittsburgh to end the season. South Florida and Louisville have also spent time near the top.
    Consider South Florida’s Big East success. The Bulls started their football program only 11 years ago, collected eight total wins in Conference USA, and last year got ranked second in the nation as part of the Big East.
    Compare the quality of the University of Miami men’s athletics as a member of the Big East from 1991-2003 at the terrible state of Miami’s athletics since they left the Big East for the 2004-05 sports year.
    In football, the Hurricanes won nine Big East titles and two national titles. As a member of the ACC, the Hurricanes have become irrelevant.
    In baseball, before joining the ACC, they made the College World Series nine times in 10 years. In the ACC, they have only made two appearances in four years.
    The ACC is not much more difficult than the Big East, but imagine the improvement of Mississippi State teams following a move from SEC competition to Big East competition.
    The most important aspect is realizing that success yields success. As a member of the SEC, MSU will never achieve the success the fans demand. In the Big East, MSU would immediately compete for titles in football and baseball and nearly be ensured of a basketball NCAA bid each year. That success would bring MSU more success.
    That success would bring the best atmosphere in college football to Starkville. Fans would embrace football success like they have baseball success.
    Oh, and cowbells are legal in Big East stadiums.
    Paul Kimbrough is a senior majoring in biological sciences. He can be reached at [email protected].