Bulldog netters continue homestand

With a slew of games awaiting both teams, Mississippi State’s tennis squads look to build upon their winning starts over the weekend.Women
    Just one day after taking on Rice on Friday, the Mississippi State lady netters will continue their home stand against Louisiana-Monroe Saturday afternoon.
    State earned its first dual match victory of the season last Saturday with a dominating 6-1 win over Louisiana-Lafayette. After a clean sweep of the doubles, State went on to almost repeat the feat in the singles, with only Martina Banikova being outlasted in a grueling three-set match.
    Like the Bulldogs, ULM goes into the match unranked, but not without talent. The Lady Warhawks are 2-0, having defeated McNeese State 5-2 and Alcorn State 6-0.
    Just days after playing ULM, State must contend with its first ranked opponent of the year, taking on the 74th-ranked Southeastern Louisiana on Tuesday. Both matches will be part of an eight match home-stand, with the match against ULM to take place Saturday, Feb. 9 at 1 p.m. at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre.
    Men
    Right on the heels of their match with 5th-ranked Mississippi, the Bulldogs take on 41st-ranked Georgia Tech this Sunday in Atlanta, Ga.
    The Bulldogs go into the match having played just two matches, the first of which was a 4-1 home win over UAB on Feb. 3. Head coach Per Nilsson expects a tough challenge from the Yellow Jackets, who are perfect in dual match play this year.
    “Georgia Tech is very similar to us, with really good players at the top and some new ones at the bottom,” Nilsson said. “We are very close in the rankings, too, although with the players both teams have, our rankings are not justified.”
    After traveling to Jackson Thursday for the Ole Miss match, the Bulldogs make their way to Atlanta on Sunday for the 11 a.m. match against Georgia Tech. State returns home Wednesday to take on Louisiana-Lafayette in Starkville.
    With an eye toward the Southeastern Championship in April, Nilsson stressed the importance of playing well early on.
    “We need matches like this,” Nilsson said. “I told the guys that they don’t have to be playing their best tennis until April. The best way to prepare for that tournament is with big matches like these.”
    With players like Ivan Bjelica and the 14th-ranked Phillipe Frayssinoux, along with a talented crop of younger players, Nilsson believes the team’s national ranking of 54th does not do justice to their talent.
    “I think we do deserve a higher ranking,” Nilsson said. “Not yet, of course, but if we continue working hard and do the things we are supposed to do, things should take care of themselves.