Watson names interim VP of agriculture

As Interim President Vance Watson assumes his new position at Mississippi State, a series of changes has been proposed to steady the university’s course. Melissa Mixon’s appointment to interim vice president for the division of agriculture, forestry and veterinary medicine is one such measure.Mixon, formerly associate division vice president, was appointed Friday to fill the positions Watson formerly held.
    Mixon said she feels honored for the confidence Watson has in her to take on the job.
    “Under the previous leadership of Dr. Watson, the division has made tremendous contributions to the research, teaching and outreach needs of our state, the clientele we serve and the students,” she said. “It is my goal to continue in the direction of where those contributions are headed.”
    Watson said Mixon’s job description will include oversight of 1,800 people located throughout the state of Mississippi and those on campus.
    “MSU’s division of agriculture, forestry and veterinary science is ranked eighth in the United States,” he said. “She will work with the deans and department heads and will work as a team with them to ensure the program continues to grow and maintain its national reputation.”
    As Mixon takes on the new role, she said she recognizes that it will be a challenge.
    “I believe this is going to be a tremendous challenge to balance all of these [responsibilities], but I know that I am going to rely on the wisdom that Dr. Watson had in putting this administrative leadership team together,” she said.
    Watson said Mixon is an extremely hard-working person with impeccable integrity.
    “The other people in the division have great respect for her ability,” he said.
    Bob Williams, project coordinator for the division, said Mixon is a highly competent person with good experience who has worked with the division for 25 years.
    “I have worked closely with her for four years and have known her since she became a faculty member in 1983,” he said.
    He said Mixon brings constant energy and enthusiasm to her job and to the program.
    “She is a good people person,” he said. “The division has contacts throughout the state and having good interpersonal skills is beneficial for us.”
    He also said she has done a good job during the past four years as associate vice president and that she will be working with good deans and directors who will mesh well together.
    “Dr. Watson has been good at creating a sense of teamwork and she will enhance that,” Williams said.
    Mixon said she will be willing to do whatever she could to continue the success of the division in the interim role.
    “We are The People’s University, and that is the direction I see the university going,” she said.
    Despite the demands of the job, Mixon said her family is supporting her.
    “This job will be more time consuming but my family is extremely supportive,” she said. “We will work together to balance the work and family issue.”
    The College Board will make its decision at its next meeting.