UPDATED: Administration clarifies stance on concert liquor possession

Editor’s Note: Mississippi State officials issued a statement via e-mail and a subsequent news release on the MSU Web site in regard to inaccurate information in Tuesday’s article in The Reflector about alcohol. The Reflector accurately reported incorrect statements made by several sources.At no time did the original printed article imply those under 21 years of age would be able to drink at the event. Quotes from the Colvard Student Union associate director indicated university and “other” laws remained in effect, with “other” in this case referring to state laws.
    The Reflector staff regrets the apparent confusion and inaccurate information it received from sources within the article. That information has subsequently been clarified or removed.
    This year, Old Main Music Festival attendees who are of age will be able to bring liquor to the event because of its location change.
    Colvard Student Union assistant director Samantha Musil said concert attendees may bring coolers that contain liquor into the amphitheater for Thursday’s festival.
    “We’re definitely not encouraging people to drink,” Musil said. “We will be following open container laws and other laws dealing with alcohol.”
    Associate dean of students Thomas Bourgeois said it is illegal to possess beer within the county. The amphitheater falls in the county’s jurisdiction. Liquor is allowed, however.
    Musil said if bad weather forces the concert into Humphrey Coliseum, concert attendees will not be able to bring coolers to the event.
    “If we’re forced inside the Hump, we will have vendors that can sell non-alcoholic drinks to people,” Musil said.
    Director of Music Maker Productions Tyler Stacy said he anticipates the festival will have a football gameday feel in regard to liquor consumption.
    “When people get together for fun events like this, they are going to drink; that’s just what people do,” Stacy said. “I hope everyone behaves themselves at the festival.”
    Senior art major Brad Coleman said he approves of the decision to allow liquor into the amphitheatre for Thursday’s festival.
    “If you are of age, I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to bring in [liquor],” Coleman said. “We are at the age where we should be able to make our own decisions.”
    Coleman said that while he agrees with the policy, he could see how it could be abused.
    “Of course there are going to be a lot of people there who will drink too much,” Coleman said. “As long as they behave decently and the crowd is monitored by security, I really do not foresee any problems.”
    Doors to the amphitheatre will be open at 5:30 p.m. Thursday. Soul Gravy, winner of a battle of the bands contest earlier in the semester, will kick off the night of performances at 6 p.m.
    Gin Blossoms are scheduled to follow at 7 p.m., with Fabolous and One Republic wrapping up the night at 8:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. respectively.
    For more information about the Old Main Music Festival, visit www.oldmainmsu.com.