Alum’s ‘Prelude’ shares lessons for relationship

A cast of mainly MSU students performed “Prelude to the Good Life,” written and directed by MSU theater alumnus Ken Cornelius, this Wednesday in Lee Hall.The play centers around a family with relationship and self-worth problems. It opened to a stage set up with a bedroom on the left and a living room on the right. In the bedroom was a woman rubbing her pregnant stomach while folding clothes and in the living room a father and son were having a conversation about the son getting a job.
    Cornelius, who also acted in the play said his work was inspired by his experiences of trying to motivate young men and women.
    “Me coming from a spiritual background, I want people to realize that no matter what their trials and tribulations, pray about it, and the Lord will make a way,” Cornelius said.
    Each of the cast members sang pieces that Cornelius and his brother Carlton Vivians wrote.
    “All the songs were original,” Cornelius said.
    He said he hopes the play will give young men a new perspective.
    “I hope [the audience] took [away] a sense of pride in themselves. Our young men walk around with their pants hanging down so low, and they don’t realize how ridiculous they look,” Cornelius said. “Hopefully this play will open their eyes.”
    He said the play will also hopefully instill pride in women as well, he said.
    “And for the women, one bad man does not determine a whole species, and if you run into one of these bad men, leave him alone because you’re worth way more than that,” he said.
    He said he classifies the play as inspirational.
    “It’s not a gospel. It’s not straight up comedy. It’s not drama, It’s all of it mixed up,” Cornelius said.
    He said he started writing the play in February 2007 and finished it in November of the same year.
    The show was sponsored by the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center and the Student Association.
    “I think it went really well,” SA Vice President Braxton Stowe said.
    He said he and Maria White of the HCDC came together to organize the play.
    “Why not let him show his talents?” Stowe said.
    Stowe said he thinks Cornelius will go far with his plays.
    “This is my first time seeing the play, and I truly enjoyed it,” he said.
    The show was previously performed at the Greensboro Center in Starkville.
    At the beginning of the play the audience wasn’t receptive but opened up as the play progressed, Cornelius said.
    “Actually, it was a tough crowd. We opened March 29, and it was a different environment.” Cornelius said. “However, I was pleased that the crowd [here] did warm up, get relaxed and really took it all in stride.”
    “I really liked it. [The play] was great,” junior kinesiology major Emeryle Milton said.
    She said coming in, she didn’t know what the show was about, but she was glad she came.
    “It touched on a lot of real issues, plus it was hilarious,” Milton said.
    The plan for the show was to have students come out and have a laugh before finals, Stowe said.
    “We had a pretty good turnout,” he said.