Hurricane Chris hits campus for Week

Mississippi State University’s chapter of the Phi Beta Sigma fraternity is preparing for the group’s annual Blue and White Week. The week will include a series of events concluding with a performance by rapper Hurricane Chris.Phi Beta Sigma President Terrance Smith said the event started at MSU in the late eighties.
    “It is basically just a week-long event we put on every spring that is geared toward campus, and we focus on bringing everyone together as a community,” Smith said.
    The event runs from April 14 to April 19, and there are different activities each day of the week.
    “Blue and White Week is a chance to get everyone together before finals start and also for Phi Beta Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta to work together in getting this event together,” Smith said.
    Phi Beta Sigma member Braxton Stowe said he hopes excitement is building for this year’s Blue and White Week.
    “Blue and White Week is one of the weeks I look forward to every spring at MSU, and it is also something people from other schools look forward to coming to our week,” said Stowe, who also serves as Student Association vice president.
    Throughout the week the fraternity will sponsor events that are open to the public.
    Blue and White Week will include a luau, a talent show, a barbecue and a block party.
    The week will conclude with a step show at Humphrey Coliseum featuring Hurricane Chris.
    Step show tickets cost $20 in advance and $25 at the door.
    “This year we have a lot of events for everyone to come to and I’m really excited about Hurricane Chris coming to our step show,” Stowe said. “I would really like for everyone to attend so we can have a good turnout.”
    Smith said funding put toward this year’s Blue and White Week comes to about $40,000.
    “The costs are usually spilt between Phi Beta Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta, but most of our events are free to the public,” Smith said.
    Freshman forensic anthropology major Jordan Senac said Blue and White Week is going to be memorable.
    “I am really excited about the step show on Saturday night because I have never seen anyone step before,” he said.
    Undeclared freshman Amy Bush said she is looking forward to seeing Hurricane Chris perform.
    “I’m really excited because I have never seen Hurricane Chris perform and he is such a big name that it looks good for him to be coming to Mississippi State,” she said.