‘Maroon Vibes’ shakes Hump

The Indian Student Association will usher the Mississippi State University community into the vast world of Indian cuisine and culture during the intercollegiate event “Maroon Vibes” on Saturday. The event will be held at the Humphrey Coliseum. Admission is free, but for the cost of $8, those who attend the event will be able to experience an Indian meal. The menu includes native dishes such as spinach pakodi, chicken bone curry, South Indian sambar and more than a dozen other dishes. There will be singing, dancing, choreography and video-making competitions. Other entertainment includes an instrumental music presentation, a fashion show and a comedy show.
    ISA President Vinay Thotakura said Maroon Vibes began at MSU in 2006.
    “Every year we invite different Southern schools to attend,” Thotakura said. “We have six schools coming this year.”
    The schools attending this year are University of Alabama-Birmingham, University of Southern Mississippi, Millsaps, Mississippi College for Women and Suwannee.
    The event is not only for Indian students but for students of all nationalities.
    “The purpose of the event is to gather all Indian students and other students as a community,” Thotakura said. “Our main goal is to arrange a platform so people can come and learn more about MSU and [show] MSU students the different cultures of India.”
    ISA secretary Archana Gawde said “Maroon Vibes” will be a great experience for everyone of any nationality.
    “Everyone will get to see different cultures of the Indian societies,” Gawde said. “All of the schools are coming to showcase different cultures and all the varieties of cultures there are in different parts of India.”
    The ISA spends an estimated $8,000 to $9,000 on the “Maroon Vibes” event each year.
    Bhani Karnati, another ISA secretary, said he encourages all students to come.
    “I want all students to attend ‘Maroon Vibes’ and see all the different Indian cultures and enjoy the varieties of Indian foods,” Karnati said.
    Thotakura said the event will be a good chance for people to come and learn more about Indian culture.
    Freshman industrial engineering major Victoria Hutchings said “Maroon Vibes” helps show how diverse Mississippi State really is.
    “I am really excited about seeing the different cultures of Mississippi State, and I am glad we have the opportunity to let these other students showcase their cultural talents,” Hutchings said.
    Sophomore communication major Suzanne Robertson said she hopes to learn something about the ISA at “Maroon Vibes.”
    “I find it interesting to learn about India and how they have such a variety of different cultures represented here at MSU,” Robertson said. “I’m really excited about ‘Maroon Vibes’ and getting to see the rest of the event.