Bulldog legend visits campus

Former Bulldog pitcher and current World Series champion closer Jonathan Papelbon was full of humor and advice as he made his return to Mississippi State for the 14th annual First Pitch banquet. Papelbon, a member of the reigning Major League Baseball champions the Boston Red Sox, was invited by MSU head coach Ron Polk to speak to this year’s Diamond Dawgs and a number of baseball fans.
    After being drafted by the Red Sox in 2003, Papelbon equated the lessons he’s learned in the game of baseball as the same ones he carries with him in life.
    “Baseball is in my blood, and it’s such a part of my life that’s taught me so many things,” Papelbon said. “It’s my rock, and it keeps me level-headed. It reminds me that I’m going to go through ups and downs, not only in baseball but in life.”
    Papelbon, best known for his Irish jigs during the World Series, reminded the young Bulldogs to take the game seriously but to have fun at the same time and said that enjoying the game aided him in his success during the 2007 season.
    “You have to be a man but a kid at the same time in baseball. That’s the kind of approach you have to take,” Papelbon said. “I couldn’t make it through a season without having a little fun along the way. You pour your life and soul into this game, and if I didn’t celebrate and have fun, I wouldn’t be happy with myself.”
    Papelbon said going through the minor league systems and struggling to make it in the majors has been one of the most humbling experiences of his life.
    “Just when you think you’re on top, something brings you back down to earth in this game,” he said. “It’s the same thing with life.”
    After living his dream of throwing the final pitch to win a World Series, Papelbon said he’s still just enjoying the experience.
    He credited meeting President George W. Bush last week as one of his favorite parts of being part of the reigning champions.
    “Getting to the World Series was a dream in itself, and winning it has just been surreal,” Papelbon said. “I’m just lucky that I get to go to work every night at Fenway Park because the fans are the best fans to be able to play in front of.”
    Papelbon also touched on his rare connection with the Red Sox fans, who have warmed up to the right-hander in his first two seasons with the team.
    “I pitch off intensity, and the fans are what get me motivated,” Papelbon said. “The fans can be intruding, but they are the people that fuel us. Red Sox fans are almost like crack addicts, and our stats are their crack that they can’t get enough of. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”
    Papelbon said he still looks back on his times at Mississippi State as a stepping stone to his major league career, and he enjoys returning to the campus.
    “I come back here, and the juices get to flowing. I met people here who changed my life,” Papelbon said. “I appreciate all the support everyone here at Mississippi State gives me because when I’m out there pitching, I’m not just pitching for myself. I’m pitching right along with all of you, and I’m pitching for my family, my university and the fans.”
    While he began his speech by ragging his former coach, Papelbon also credited Polk as being one of the most influential teachers in his baseball career.
    “I want to thank Coach Polk for sticking by me [through] good times and bad,” he said. “Baseball is a game of ups and downs, and I think Coach Polk was the number one person to help me realize that baseball is an even-keel game.”
    In looking forward to the upcoming season, Papelbon said his focus is entirely on defending his World Series title.
    “I just want to go about defending this title the best way I know how. I want to represent myself, my family and my university in the best possible manner,” he said.