Bands face off at ‘Battle’ Tuesday

Seven Mississippi bands will battle it out tonight at the State Theatre for a chance to perform at the Old Main Music Festival.Campus Activities Board and Music Makers have combined to co-sponsor Battle of the Bands. Mississippi groups To the Empire, Limebaster, Sixty207, Young Agent Jones, Soul Gravy, Goodnight Apathy and Red Hill City will take the stage in hopes of garnering exposure at Old Main.
    “We wanted diversity. Some of the bands are alternative, some are classic rock,” said John McArthur, entertainment division head of CAB.
    Twelve candidates initially applied, but only seven could be picked due to time constraints.
    “We wanted people with all different music tastes to be able to come to this event and have a good time. There’s a band for each kind of genre people like,” McArthur said.
    Each band will have 10 minutes to set up and 15 minutes to perform. The winning group will receive a $300 contract to open for OneRepublic and Fabolous on April 17.
    “To decide the winner, we figured it would be unfair if the crowd could pick, so there will be a panel of judges from CAB, Music Makers and State Theatre. We will take audience hype into account,” McArthur said.
    The bands come from different parts of Mississippi.
    “I, along with all my band members are from Vicksburg,” said Adam Williston, the vocalist of Limebaster.
    Limebaster plays rock, experimental and hardcore music.
    Williston said their style of music is constantly changing and adapting so the band doesn’t have a specific genre.
    “We entered Battle of the Bands because we heard about it from our guitarist, Alex Howington, who performed in it last year with another band,” Williston said. “We love music and love to perform so we signed up for Battle of the Bands because we wanted to have a fun time.”
    To the Empire claims Starkville as its home for now, said bassist Craig Brown.
    “We mainly play post-hardcore rock, but we also try to incorporate some indie, experimental and progressive styles too, just to see what we can come up with. We really just play where ever we can,” Brown said. “We played Battle of the Bands last year in Ruby Hall with a slightly different lineup.”
    He said that they found the most recent member of their group, Andrew Mooney who sings lead vocals, two and a half months ago.
    “We don’t claim to be a great band, but we have fun when we play and I would say that is the most important part,” Brown said.
    McArthur said that they have had a massive amount of response and interest from people.
    “I think it’s a great opportunity for bands who love to do what they do,” said Ruthie Franke, a sophomore chemical engineering major.
    Franke said she likes all genres, except most country, and listens to music every chance she gets.
    “I have not heard of any of these bands before, but I’m always willing to try new things,” she said.
    Admission to the showcase is $2, and the doors will open at 7 p.m.
    “I think it’s going to be just a good time for everyone who attends and is involved,” McArthur said.
    For more information about Battle of the Bands or CAB, visit www.msstate.edu/org/cab/.