Resignation prompts discussion

Almost three weeks after former MSU President Robert “Doc” Foglesong announced his resignation, the Mississippi State University community is still expressing mixed emotions concerning his decision.”I thought Dr. Foglesong had the opportunity to become a really strong and successful president of MSU,” said Mark Goodman, former MSU Faculty Senate president. “I am and was disappointed when he resigned, although I understood why he resigned.”
    Faculty Senate President Robert Wolverton said Foglesong’s hiring and subsequent resignation were both unfair to Foglesong.
    “‘Doc’ came into this position with one hand tied behind his back,” Wolverton said. “He never had a chance to talk to the students, faculty or alumni.”
    Wolverton said Foglesong’s resignation is a losing situation for Foglesong, his family and MSU.
    “This is sad because it forces ‘Doc’ and his wife, Mary, to change all of the plans that they had here,” he said. “What ‘Doc’ has tried to do for MSU has been very commendable; we needed the vision of the future that he put together.”
    Junior communication major Daniel Hicks said he feels Foglesong’s military approach to leading MSU caused much of the tension leading up to his resignation.
    “The man is a leader, but as Mississippi State has seen, a transition from military leadership to civilian and educational leadership is anything but successful,” Hicks said.
    He said the tension surrounding Foglesong throughout his presidency also makes the next presidential selection something he would like to see students become more aware of.
    “I know that it’s probably not practical for students to be involved with the selection of the president, but some voice would be nice,” he said. “I think students should be asked what they desire in a university leader and what qualities they think are most important.”
    Junior communication major Eric Lister said he believes Foglesong had the students’ interest in mind throughout his presidency. Foglesong once visited the Sigma Phi Epsilon house, the fraternity Lister belongs to, to have an informal talk with the members about rumors concerning him on campus.
    “When he came to the house, he spoke with us like we were on equal footing rather than him being an authority figure.”
    Junior biological engineering major Erin Hyatt said professors in her department have approached Foglesong about issues such as staff shortages and received little accommodation.
    “We have a problem every time we sign up [for classes]. I’m an honor student and a junior and still have big problems trying to get into the math section I want,” she said. “They brought it before ‘Doc’ and apparently did not receive a good answer.”
    Hyatt also said she did not agree with Foglesong’s decision to let go of some of the “higher up” members of the administration last year.
    “I lost a really great teacher, friend and adviser who had a heart for Mississippi State,” she said.