Primary Colors

John McCain
    John McCain

Voters from across the state will flock to the polls Tuesday to help decide the presidential candidates for the general election in November. On the Republican side, John McCain and Ron Paul are the only two candidates left in the running. This week’s four-state primary results gave John McCain the extra delegates he needed to secure the GOP nomination.
    Democratic contenders Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama remain fiercely competitive in the race. Since Tuesday, Obama’s lead has increased to 1,520 delegates, 96 more than Clinton has won.
    Terry Cassreino, communication director for the Mississippi Democratic Party, said he is confident the Democrats will come out on top in the presidential election.
    “It is going to be a clear election no matter who the Democrats nominate,” Cassreino said. “All of our nominees are going to have an advantage against the Republicans.”
    Earlier this week, he said if McCain gets enough delegates to clinch the nomination, he is certain the Democrats will have the lead during the general elections.
    “John McCain has pretty much been declared the Republican nominee,” Cassreino said. “With McCain as the nominee, whoever the Democrats nominate, I am confident we will definitely win this presidential election.”
    Mississippi Republican Party communication director Cory Adair said earlier this week that the voters in the state feel as if they can relate more to the Republicans than to the Democrats.
    “It’s really anyone’s guess [who] will make it to the general elections, but we have excellent candidates,” Adair said. “Whoever wins the nomination [will] go and win the general [election].”
    Cassreino disagrees, saying Mississippi voters are leaning more toward the Democratic candidates.
    “The issues being brought up in this election are really [in] the voters’ hearts and the Democrats are the only ones that are going to follow through with what they are promising,” he said.
    Freshman aerospace engineering major Alex Rowe said he considers himself a Democrat because he believes the Democratic candidates seem to care more about people than money.
    “I want Obama [to win the Democratic nomination] because I think he will be a stronger leader over Clinton,” Rowe said.
    Benjamin Blair, associate professor of finance and economics, said he thinks a McCain presidency would jumpstart the country’s economy.
    “Of the candidates, I would say John McCain [would contribute most] because he has pledged not to increase taxes,” Blair said. “In my opinion, more money in the pockets of the consumers rather than the government is better for the economy of Mississippi.