MSU Ice Hockey wraps up home season

After trailing the University ofMemphis for the majority of last Friday night’s game, the Ice Dawgs were able to rally in the third period and come back to win 5-4. The newfound momentum allowed the ice hockey team to sweep Memphis last weekend and has produced high hopes for this weekend’s games against Auburn, which will be the team’s last home games.
Chance Morreale, senior right wing, said his team needs to stay tough and play a hard game against Auburn.
“We need to control the flow of the game,” he said. “Auburn has been a good team the past few years, so we need to have fans behind us and keep the momentum.”
First year head coach Paul Thornton said Mississippi State will implement the same game plan against Auburn as it did against Memphis.
“Auburn is a big conference match-up. We hope to beat Auburn. We are probably evenly matched,” he said.
R.C. Morgan, junior center, said the team needs to be just as athletic and physical against Auburn as it was against Memphis.
“There is more competitiveness against Auburn because it is an SEC team,” he said. “We need a lot of fans to come out and support the team.”
Hunter Bridges, senior forward and MSU ice hockey president, said the team plans to keep their cool and avoid getting penalties, while using Auburn’s to their advantage. Facing his last season with the Ice Dawgs, Bridges said he wants to soak in the experience while it lasts.
“I hope to go out with a bang and hopefully get wins this weekend and keep a winning record for the rest of the season,” he said.
Morreale, who is also graduating this spring, said it will be hard to leave the team behind as he takes the ice in Tupelo one last time.
“I will hang up the skates after this,” he said. “With the fans behind us it will be a great game, and I want to know that I gave my all.”
As the senior members prepare to play their last season, they have had to adapt to changes to team dynamics, including a change in coaching.
“He (Thornton) came in late October. We went through a coaching transition, which was kinda hard,” he said. “The team has become closer, with more events and more practices.”
Thornton said since he has become coach, the team culture has been restructured to gain better organization on the ice. Thornton has given the team offensive and defense systems to run during practice to prevent chaos on the ice and drills to improve distance.
“The team hasn’t been disciplined in the past. They’ve done very well and came a long way,” he said. “They’ve taken great stiles this year trying to build the program. The players have bought into the system.”
Through Thornton’s leadership the team has become more dedicated than in previous years.
“We got our heads on straight and started over, basically,” Morreale said. “We have learned a lot. It’s been going good so far.”
Morgan said the team has improved over the years, and the players have gotten better.
“We have a really good (team). Everybody loves everybody,” he said. 
More players from the north have joined the team and Bridges said the team members hope to recruit more in the future by sending letters to promote the school.
“They can get good weather and hockey,” he said.
As the program continues, Morreale said he wants to see the team gain new members and grow. He said anyone who has played ice hockey before or who knows the game is welcome to try out.
“Hopefully, we will one day have an ice rink closer to us than Tupelo,” he said. “We hope to keep the fan base and get that bigger.”