Weird addictions can be harmless, causes senseless behavior

People tend to be creatures of habit. People wake up, go to work or school, eat and do commonplace activities all the time. Some people wear similar clothes all the time or practice habits like never turning left like Derek Zoolander portrayed by Ben Stiller in the 2001 comedy “Zoolander.”
Ryan Culp, sophomore marketing major, said he is addicted to his Chacos, an outdoor brand sandal.
“I wear them, like, all the time, and I don’t feel good if I don’t,” Culp said. 
These habits can be manifested in different ways and through numerous tools. Some are harmless, such as lip balm or teeth whitening, while others could be deadly, such as drugs and possibly tanning.
These tendencies can become addictions and compulsions.
Human beings are compulsive creatures, meaning people feel obligated to do or be something not because they want to act in that manner.
According to Psychology Today, plenty of people have certain compulsions, such as shopping or eating.
“When a person has a compulsion, he is trapped in a pattern of repetitive and senseless thinking – indeed these behaviors are quite difficult to overcome,” Psychology Today said.
Take lip balm addiction for example. Granted, lip balm addiction is yet to be explained as a gateway addiction to dangerous and potentially life threatening compulsions. For some people, the application of lip balm is part of their daily routines. Sometimes, it becomes a vital part of their lives.
Perry Romanowski, a cosmetic chemist and author of “Can You Get Hooked on Chapstick?,” said people do not become addicted to lip balm the same ways people become addicted to alcohol or nicotine.
“It’s similar to someone biting their nails,” Romanowski said.
This could be comforting to “chap stick addicts,” but a compulsion still lingers.
Everyday Health said there is no denying the belief some people cannot make it without applying lip balm.
“Because your lips have no oil glands, they tend to dry out very easily,” Everyday Health said.
This is the reason that people feel the necessity to drench their lips with the product. But researchers have found that lip balm tends to dry lips out more quickly.
“What’s more, some common ingredients found in lip balms (like menthol and salicylic acid) may irritate your lips, leading you to re-apply in an attempt to soothe the irritation,” Everyday Health said. “Repeated often enough, this dryness-balm-more dryness cycle becomes a habit.”
People become obsessed with addictions, not only in the sense of personally experiencing a compulsion. The television network TLC even runs a series called “My Strange Addiction.”
Episodes have focused on individuals with different compulsions, such as eating toilet paper, sucking their thumbs, pulling their hair and even eating couch cushioning.
Landry McMillan, senior marketing major, said she thinks the show is a conspiracy to make people feel like their lives are normal.
No matter the reason or lip balm brand, moderation is key.
For more information, help or counseling in regard to addictions, contact Student Counseling Services, located in Hathorn Hall, at 325-2091 to make an appointment.