Tattoo culture becoming more accepted, negative stigmas still attached

Tattoos are becoming more socially acceptable in today’s society. However, there are still some negative stigmas associated with this type of artwork display, although there is no such thing as a stereotypical tattooed person.
Teresa Gawrych, communication instructor, said the tattooed community is diverse. Gawrych completed her Master’s research on tattoos as a form of nonverbal communication, group identity and body image. She also has a few tattoos of her own.
Gawrych said she attributes the frequency of tattoos in society today to individuality and how that makes people more comfortable to get them.
“I believe that tattoos have become more prevalent in our culture because people want to be more individual, and there really isn’t a typical tattooed person. I think that makes people feel more safe to get them,” she said
Robbie “Coon” Koch, owner of Coon Tattoos in West Point, holds the world record for giving the most tattoos in a 24-hour period.
Koch said his advice for people seeking to get tattoos is to seek a professional.
“Don’t look for the cheapest deal if you want something for life; search out a professional that you trust. It is an art form that shouldn’t die out because of ignorance,” Koch said.
There are many reasons for getting body art, including remembering a loss or emphasizing masculinity or femininity, and others get tattoos just to get a rise out of people. Some  people have tattoos to tell a story about a significant experience they have had.
Gawrych said tattoos are common amoung groups such as Greek organizations.
“Alot of sorority sisters all go out when they join and get a tattoo of their symbol,” she said.
Gawrych said  she encountered a man who could not wear his wedding ring to work because he was a mechanic and decided to get a tattoo that symbolized his marriage.
Gawrych also said skepticism from parents or peers is a common issue.
“I actually hid my own tattoos from my family for years, and I feel some people are hesitant to get them because they don’t want to let their parents down or cause a problem in that relationship, until they realize that they want to get the tattoo for themselves, not for others. It is a big decision,” she said.
Indecisiveness to receive body art could be attributed to worries about getting ahead in the job market today. Cassandra Latimer, associate director of the Career Center, said students who have tattoos should make the call based on their particular line of business.
“The job market today is extremely competitive and sometimes they are looking for a reason to weed people out.  Even though tattoos are becoming more socially acceptable in our culture, we advise you to make the decision based on what field you want to go into. Some businesses are more conservative,” she said.
Latimer said individuals should cover up tattoos during interviews.
“We also recommend that students conceal their tattoos for the interview process, and then use your judgment to see if revealing it would fit in with the company’s culture. You want employers to remember you for what you said, not what your tattoo is,” she said.