Sullivan stays humble in record-setting year

As only a junior, soccer forward Elisabeth Sullivan broke the Mississippi State record for career goals in the final game of the season.
Although taking credit for her success and achievements would be easy for Sullivan, she said she credits her teammates and does not care too much about breaking records, and her teammates confirmed Sullivan’s humble demeanor.
Amidst a season of highs and lows for the Mississippi State soccer team, Sullivan was a model of consistency and humility, being one of the least-praised and best players in the SEC.
Morganne Grimes, fellow junior on the field and a close friend of Sullivan’s, said everyone on the team looks up to “Sully,” as she is called by her teammates.
“Honestly, she is the nicest, sweetest girl I’ve ever met. She would do anything for anybody, and she just has so much determination and dedication in everything she does, not just on the field but off the field, too,” Grimes said. “She’s so religious, so inspiring, she’s so good academically and an amazing athlete. She’s just an amazing girl.”
In the last game of the season against Ole Miss, Sullyivan scored two goals, including the game-winning goal in double overtime to seal the deal and win the Magnolia Cup.
Her final goal was the 23rd of her career and broke the school record for career goals at MSU. For the season, she scored 12 goals, which led the team and tied for second most in the league. She also finished third in the SEC in points with 28.
Her fantastic performance throughout the entire season earned her a spot on the All-SEC second team and a first team all-league selection by College Sports Madness.
Former head coach Neil MacDonald said Sullivan is absolutely outstanding and can turn any defender or take her defender head on.
“Sully’s just an exceptional talent,” MacDonald said. “She’s a huge threat. It doesn’t matter if they double-team her or throw three players on her, she still beats them. She’s an incredible striker.”
Despite all her success and accolades, Sullivan’s humility and team-first mindset was still evident, as she said she was more excited for the seniors to beat Ole Miss on senior night than she was to break the record.
“I wasn’t necessarily thinking, ‘I want to be the one to score the goal.’ All I wanted was for anyone to score it so we could win the game,” Sullivan said. “I’m really excited to break the record because I feel like my hard work has really paid off because of all the hours my team puts in. I think it was a mixture of my coaches helping me, my teammates encouraging me and working hard on and off the field.”
Grimes said it was fitting for Sullivan to score the game-winning goal on senior night because she always plays for others, not herself.
“If anyone on the team was going to do it, it was going to be her,” Grimes said. “When we had the ball, it was ‘where is Elisabeth Sullivan on this field?’ and ‘we’re going to get it to her feet.’ She is magic on the ball.”
Since she broke the record her junior year, Sullivan has a chance to build on her mark and continue her legacy on and off the field.
Senior Katy Hoover said Sullivan’s focus will remain on the team’s success instead of her own performance.
“Sully has a really great work ethic. She really wants to get better at everything she does. She really loves soccer, so it’s fun to watch her play,” Hoover Said. “Off the field, she’s a really sweet person and really fun to hang out with. She’s a great friend and a good, Christian girl, and it’s nice to see that at a D-1 SEC school.”