SA Senate fails to override veto

During a special session Wednesday, the Mississippi State University Student Association senate failed to override a presidential veto regarding the creation of an ad hoc committee to make decisions related to the 2012 Bulldog Bash.
For the first time in nearly a decade, the SA senate petitioned for a special session in an attempt to override the presidential veto. For a veto override to occur, a two-thirds majority of the total senate members, or 32 votes, in favor of the override was necessary.
The proposed veto override failed to meet the two-third majority with only 27 votes in favor of the override, three votes against it and three senators abstaining from the vote. Not all senators were present.
According to SA senator Courtney Harris, Resolution 29 would create an ad hoc committee of seven members from the Student Association to begin the pre-planning steps of this year’s Bulldog Bash prior to the new SA president and cabinet members taking office in March.
Traditionally, the SA president and the director of external events, an appointed cabinet position, plan the majority of Bulldog Bash, including the process of securing sponsors and entertainment. The failure to override the veto ensures this procedure will remain in place for the upcoming year.
SA president Rhett Hobart, who vetoed the resolution on Feb. 8, said in his notice of veto that he did not support the committee because he feels it is important for the SA president and director of external events to have the ability to make the decisions related to the annual concert.
Many SA senators said they felt strongly about the creation of the ad hoc committee in order to uphold the high standard MSU students expect from Bulldog Bash.
SA senator Hudson Frey said he felt the committee was proposed to help begin the planning process for Bulldog Bash during the transition between the current and future executive committee and cabinet members.
“I think we are just making sure that during this transition period before those new members take their role that decisions will be made with equal opportunity given to everybody,” Frey said during the session.
SA senator Sara Vance said during the session she was in favor of the veto override because of a month delay in executive council elections and cabinet appointments. She said she hoped the committee would start the planning process early to secure the best sponsors and acts for the event.
Some SA senators opposed overriding the veto, including SA senator Julianne Frost, who said she thinks the way decisions have been made in the past has been successful and does not wish to change it.
“In the past few years the way that Bulldog Bash has been run – it’s obviously worked so I’m going to say that I completely agree with President Hobart’s veto,” she said during the session. “I think that the power should lie within the directors that are appointed.”
SA Vice President Halston Hales said he thought the special session went well regardless of the outcome because many senate members learned about the powers and duties of the SA at MSU.
“It was an interesting display of authority at both the legislative and executive levels,” he said. “Just the fact that the senate was trying to override a veto has not been done since I have been here.”
Hobart, who has created the ad hoc committee in an advisory form, said he respects the SA senators for calling a session to discuss a possible veto override.
“It is a testament to the passion each of these senators has for MSU as they called this special session to further discuss Resolution 29,” he said. “It is essential to have senate involvement in all parts of the SA, so I appreciate all of their hard work.”