Lorene Cox Retires

Lorene Cox has retired from working as the Veteran’s Benefits and Program Coordinator at the G.V. “Sonny” Montgomery Center for America’s Veterans after 29 years with Mississippi State University and 21 years helping veterans, service members and their dependents with their GI Bill benefits, managing the center’s scholarship programs.
Scholarship programs provided by the center include the Center for America’s Veterans Scholarship, which helps students with unmet financial needs, and the Yellow Ribbon Scholarship, which assists out-of-state students. The center also partners with the Pat Tillman Foundation to provide scholarships to veterans, service members and their spouses at MSU.
Over the years, Cox has provided counseling to veterans and service members in all branches of the military concerning the various benefits that are available for them.
 ”It was an honor to help veterans and service members over the years,” she said. “I enjoyed helping them. They have made many sacrifices for our country, and I tried to help them as much as possible with their benefits to help take some of the stress off of attending school.”
Cox also said one of the biggest changes that occurred while she worked for the Center was the post 9/11 GI Bill, which provides benefits for active duty veterans after 9/11. The veterans are paid based on how long they served and receive benefits for a percentage of their tuition and fees, as well as a book allowance and housing allowance.
Cox said she made a lot of memories while working at the Center, and she said one of her favorites was the reception sponsored by the center in honor of her retirement on Jan. 30.
“It really meant a lot, and it was such a nice reception,” she said.
Ronnie White, assistant director at the Center for America’s Veterans, has worked at the center for about three years and said he enjoyed working with Cox.
“It has been a pleasure to work with someone so dedicated to helping veterans. She has gone above and beyond the call of duty, always working hard to help veterans,” he said.
White also said he will miss having someone he could always rely on around the office.
“Her knowledge base after taking care of veterans for 21 years is also something I will miss,” he said. “It will be difficult to get used to not having her at the office.”
Stacy Watkins, student receptionist at the Center for America’s Veterans and a sophomore majoring in marketing, has been working with Cox since last August.
“I definitely enjoyed working with Mrs. Cox, and I will miss her so much,” she said.
Watkins also said she enjoyed having someone so caring and understanding she could always talk to at the office.
Cox said she will miss the interaction with veterans and the opportunity to help any way possible
“I feel that my biggest achievement is that hopefully I was able to make a difference in some of their lives,” she said.