Questions abound as spring football begins

As is always the case in college football, hope is everywhere in the spring.
Fans of all ages will spend countless hours on Internet message boards and around the proverbial water cooler debating whether this will be the year their favorite team will break through and deliver the historic season they have dreamed about since childhood.
For Mississippi State fans long-accustomed to struggling against their brethren in the vaunted Southeastern Conference, MSU head football coach Dan Mullen’s last two years on the job, which both ended in bowl victories, have served to ensure there will be plenty of excitement when the Bulldogs start spring practice this week.
Mullen, like most coaches, is excited about the teaching opportunities presented in spring practice.
“In spring, you have the ability to really take time to teach the offense, defense and special teams. We will try to practice a day and then meet the next day, so you cannot just practice it but also review it the next day and take your time to teach, and it gives the guys the opportunity to let things sink in over a little bit longer period of time, whereas in the fall you are going to teach it, practice it and move on,” Mullen said. “In an educational institution, it is a much better way to educate.”
While the coaches may be excited about the opportunity to install the playbook and teach players the proper fundamentals, it is positional battles and the progress of signees who enrolled early or freshmen who redshirted their first year in the program who usually make for the most interesting storylines. 
Many an eye will be watching the progress of heralded defensive signees such as defensive end Denico Autry, defensive tackle Quay Evans and offensive linemen Charles Siddoway and Dylan Holley, all of whom are enrolled this semester and expected to make a significant impact this coming season.
Mullen expects them to be given plenty of opportunities to earn playing time in the spring.
 ”You will see them working pretty regularly, rotating in with the second and third groups to start off and working their way up,” he said. “For any player, coming in the spring is an enormous advantage. You get to actually learn the proper way to learn. These guys coming in the spring puts them in a great position to play next fall for us.”
Along with the expected impact of the early enrollees, coaches and fans alike are ready to see who will step up and replace departed players such as quarterback Chris Relf, running back Vick Ballard, defensive tackle Fletcher Cox and safeties Wade Bonner and Charles Mitchell.
“On the defensive side of the ball, safety is probably the big one. I guess mic linebacker and the safeties are where we really want to see guys step up and to see who is ready to get into the rotation on the defensive line,” Mullen said. “Offensively, we are really excited about the talent we have at running back, but we have to make sure it translates into game production. That is where we lost the most production in my mind, at the tailback position.”
As far as the question of who replaces Chris Relf at quarterback is concerned, Mullen said both quarterbacks will be given an equal chance of winning the job. With junior Tyler Russell still healing from a knee injury suffered during bowl practices and with only two quarterbacks on the spring roster, Russell and redshirt freshman Dak Prescott will be given ample reps in practice. Mullen even hinted at something many MSU fans have longed to see: Tyler Russell being given the reigns to an offense that actually relies more on the passing game.
Between the intriguing position battles and development of promising young talent, it is sure to be an interesting spring for the Bulldogs as Mullen continues to try and lead the Bulldogs to the promised land: Atlanta for the SEC Championship Game.