‘Black Voices’ to sing in U.S. choir competition

The Black Voices Gospel choir of Mississippi State University will compete in the National Inaugural U.S. Gospel Competition.
The competition will take place March 7 at the Louisville Palace Theater in Kentucky, and the choir will compete against schools in New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.
Charla Young, a talk show host and alum of MSU, contacted Black Voices before the Christmas Break to participate in the event.
Justin Johnson, Black Voices president, said competing in the event is a great way to reach goals the group set earlier this year.
“This semester the executive board established a vision of taking the organization higher, and it has been a long period since Black Voices has traveled this far and competed in a national competition,” he said. “Competing in this event just further shows the drive, dedication and passion the members have put forth to excel in all we do. “
To prepare for the explosion Johnson said the group will focus more on the technical aspect of their singing.
The competition will consist of a first place winner who can receive $15,000, a second place award of $7,500 and third place award of $5,000 for a total of $30,000 in cash and prizes.
Lanecha Turner, vice president of Black Voices, said the competition will bring the group closer together.
“I feel moving forward that this competition will bring us closer and push us to do our absolute best while still giving God the glory, and it would spark an interest for more people to join the organization,” she said.
The event will be judged by celebrity gospel recording artists including Karen Clark-Sheard, Ricky Dillard, Byron Cage and Martha Munizzi. Two of the judges, Cage and Clark-Sheard, will perform during the explosion.
After its return from the choir competition the group will work on its spring concert. Anyone interested in being a part of the choir may attend auditions in the Fowlkes Auditorium Jan. 22 at 5p.m.