Students, faculty discuss equal pay

Equal Opportunity is something desired by everyone. On the campus of Mississippi State University, some faculty and students believe equal opportunity is improving.
Several MSU students seem to think the male to female ratio of employment rather equal. Kathleen Foil, a junior education major, said, “There is a good mix, but I have seen in some departments where there are more females or more males.” Even if there is an uneven ratio somewhere, it appears here at State the levels are close to the same.
According to information gathered by the university’s college of institutional research the levels are somewhat uneven. As of fall 2014, male tenured professors were up to 187 while female tenured professors were only 47. The same thing appears in the associate professor position with 149 males and 71 females. 
The unevenness is not just leaning one way. The numbers for instructors are 51 male and 101 female as of fall 2014. Lecturer has the same trend with 80 males and 109 females. Overall it might be even, but in higher level positions it appears men are more common.
Cat Wynne, junior undeclared major said she believes equal opportunity is possible.
“It means I  haven’t noticed any gender basis,” Wynne said. 
 The fact that gender bias has not been seen is a great positive for MSU. It means that this university is a fair place to work, be educated and feel welcomed.
A number of university faculty members have similar opinions to the students. Abigail Voller, who is an English Department instructor, felt like her department has provided equal opportunity. 
 Kimberly Kelly, the director of Gender Studies, believes there are more men in MSU’s  tenured positions.

Kelly said our Southern culture does affect gender equality, but Mississippi State was probably one of the fairest universities in the South. She said, “No college has perfect equality.”
 Kelly’s advice for women applying for jobs is to remember they are just as good as their male counterparts, but still be prepared. Kelly said be more qualified and if you get the position find a mentor; and in turn be a mentor yourself.
Bill Broyles, vice president of student affairs, advises  women to get an education and prepare well. He said seek every opportunity you can.       
Mississippi State University has shown itself as an institute for everyone. Equality is improving and hopefully it is here to stay.