Production class creates additional news broadcast

Starting in mid-September, students can expect to see a new show on the air, which is currently being created by Mississippi State’s broadcasting students.
“The Department of Communication has two capstone or practicum classes that we utilize for broadcasting,” Teresa Gawrych, communication instructor said.  
Broadcasting students are required to take a practicum class in Television News to  to graduate. Recently, a new section has been added due to an increase of students. 
This section is in the process of designing a new show which is requiring many hours of dedication from the students.
 Gawrych described how the new show will be similar to Take 30 News, which is the original class; however the new production will be stylized in a different manner.
 “It’s going to be a little bit more movement with the cameras and some flashier graphics,” 
Gawrych said. “They’re trying to appeal to a college audience with the types of stories they do and the way they shoot their television show.”
  Gawrych said the new class will be create a logo and a new format, in relation to Take 30 News, for their news program.
 “The students are designing it from scratch; they’re deciding where the cameras go, how they want the show to look, creating a name, doing PR for it,” Gawrych said. “So that’s the thing that kinda makes it a little bit different than our current TV show, which is Take 30 News.”
 “With all of our broadcasting classes we want our students to be able to go out and work in the industry; be it local news, national news, or even working for a university,” Gawrych said. 
“Some of our students have chosen to double emphasis in Broadcasting and PR, so that allows our students to go either work at universities or at news stations.”
“It is a news show in the fact that it covers news topics, like sports, news, entertainment, health and beauty and we also have interviews on the show,” Gawrych said. “It’s just the way we set up our cameras, the way the students decided to format the show, makes it a little bit, almost like an entertainment hybrid, but it still covers news topics.”
KayLeigh McCool, senior communication major with concentrations in public relations and broadcasting, said the show was not just for the practicum class, but for all MSU students.
 McCool said after graduation, she has an interest in sideline reporting for sporting events, being a sports reporter for a television station or doing PR for a sports team as a spokesperson. 
McCool is open to other ideas for her career and said she may change her mind after completing the required practicum.
Blake Scott, senior, communication major with a concentration in broadcasting said his class wants to give to the university community a production that is not your “average news show” and insight through interviews from both local Starkville citizens and MSU students to give greater awareness of the Mississippi State campus and Starkville as a whole.
“We’ve been given an opportunity to have something like this and to create something out of nothing so for us we really just want to bring the best possible product back to the university that we can,” Scott said. “We as a group are coming up with innovative, fresh ideas and concepts to bring to television and entertainment news and that’s where the most progress is being made.”
Scott has past experience with WYAB 103.9 FM out of Jackson, MS and has been involved with media relations around the MSU campus.
The new show, currently referred to as MSTB 98, will begin airing on Tuesdays at 4 p.m. during the month of September. Eight new live shows will be filmed appearing on Channel 8 and eventually can be viewed on YouTube and Facebook. 
For further questions regarding this new production, you may contact Teresa Gawrych at [email protected].