Salsa in the Streets promotes diversity

Students will be given the opportunity to enjoy Latin music, salsa dancing and food inspired from countries south of the border as the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) hosts its annual event, Salsa in the Streets, in celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month. 

The Mississippi State University chapter of SHPE, established on campus in 2008, has provided students with events and learning experiences about the Spanish culture for many years. Currently, two percent of MSU’s total student population identify themselves as Hispanic or Latino. 

With help from the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center (HCDC), Erik Antonio, SHPE’s president, said he looks forward to reaching out to those students on campus. 

“SHPE is a growing organization,” Antonio said. “Unfortunately, not too many people are aware of our presence at the moment, but we hope to change that as we become more and more active within Mississippi State.” 

A few years ago, there was a Hispanic Student Association at  MSU. SHPE is presently the only organization on campus that reaches out to MSU’s Hispanic population. However, the development of the Latin Student Association (LSA) is currently in progress. 

Daisy Edwards, founder of LSA and senior marketing major, said she saw the need for this organization just as she was starting her freshman year. 

“No one had created the organization yet. I guess I was kind of waiting for someone else to do it—that’s really what inspired me,” Edwards said. “So much is going on politically involving immigration, so I think it’s a really good time.”

Antonio mentioned SHPE looks forward to the formation of LSA. 

“As the Latin Student Association develops, we hope that we can have a close relationship that benefits Hispanic culture and the students of MSU,” Antonio said. 

Rachel Ross, HCDC coordinator, said HCDC is trying to increase their involvement with Hispanic and Latino students as well.

“We are trying to inform them that these organizations are for them to gather and socialize as well as to bring awareness that this population is on campus,” Ross said. “It exists, and they are here to build one another up.” 

The event will be held Thursday at 7 p.m. outside of Lee Hall and is free to all students.