MSU, Police work to ease traffic woes on game days

The Mississippi State football season includes a large number of fans, alumni and students. Last Saturday’s game day was hectic with many people present and  roads on campus closed due to construction. 
   Bradley Douglas, game day and events coordinator in Athletics, said the campus police and the Mississippi Department of Transportation have been consulting with engineers about traffic flow as the university has been growing. Douglas said the Starkville Police Department has a larger presence on campus this year.
Brad Massey, lieutenant with the MSU PD, said the university is planning a new road on the south side of campus to help with traffic, but it might not be finished for another two years. 
     In light of this, students have thoughts on what might need to change or improve on campus regarding game day traffic. Chandler Gurley, junior communication major, said an increase in exits is necessary to improve traffic flow, as well as off-campus parking.
  Camille Comer, junior poultry science major, said she feels the police should accommodate the residents of Starkville. 
 Massey’s and Douglas’ advice for fans that live on campus or in apartments nearby, is they should walk if it is reasonably close, such as Twenty- One Apartments or Campus Trails. 
 Massey said if students walk they should walk in numbers because safety is a main priority. If students need to be escorted to their residence halls, Bully Patrol is available to escort them. 
 Routes for drivers trying to exit campus after the game vary. The Starkville Police Department has given a few routes that might make drivers’ exits easier. SPD suggests taking Lee Boulevard. to Highway 182, Coliseum to Highway 12, College View to Highway 12, 82 and 182, Blackjack to 12 and South Montgomery and others.
    Massey and Douglas said the map on the MSU website has a game day option, which will highlight advised routes.
  Douglas said, “Do your homework. Things are different on game day and every lot has different ways to exit and turn.”
 Massey said, “Try to avoid closed road areas.” 
According to Massey, being open-minded to new routes and following directions the SPD gives directs drivers to the safest routes.
Douglas and Massey both agreed safety is a top priority.
In light of parking being  a major concern for many MSU fans, Douglas said the university currently does  not have enough parking for game day crowds, but in the future if the university continues to grow other options will have to be explored like building off campus parking.
     Massey said all resources have been out directing traffic and are doing the best they can with the current infrastructure. Massey also said traffic and parking does effect the game day experience, but it’s important to have fun because all police resources are available to help.  
 Douglas said fans and students are reminded to follow the tailgating rules. Douglas said trash has been a problem as well. Douglas said people need to leave campus as it looked when they arrived; the university wants the fans to help bring campus back to normal after game day.
According to Douglas, “I want to commend our police department. They are handling these large crowds with the best options. Our campus police do so much for our university,” he said.