MSU hosts branding launch, new promotions

Mississippi State University launched a new branding initiative to bring to the forefront the student driven research on campus. The ‘We Ring True’ initiative was introduced at a recent campus celebration on Oct. 13.
According to the press release given by the university, this initiative is meant to challenge the MSU community to take an active part in the future of the university by helping with exposure to a variety of audiences. The initiative is meant to help display student led research such as the eco-friendly car of the future that will get one hundred miles to the gallon.   
 President Mark Keenum said in the press release that this was an exciting time in the history of Mississippi State because of the growth and increasing recognition of MSU’s leading research.
Sid Salter, Chief Communication Officer for Mississippi State, said, “The Strategic Direction program started after a research group here at State pitched a proposal to get funds from a large company. The group did not receive the funding another university received it. The company chose the other university because they had not heard enough about Mississippi State to feel comfortable. This was a call to action instead of a sign of defeat.” 
  Salter said a large number of people worked on this strategy plan by doing market research, focus groups and personal interviews among students, alumni, faculty and staff. Salter said the overall feelings were good, but some faculty and staff saw where improvement could be made to make MSU more regionally and nationally recognized for research and development projects. 
This two year plan is already six months in, and the launch was showing the progress and work of the last few months. Salter said the initiative will help display the university’s national success like the UAS that received the FAA’s center of excellence for Unmanned Aircraft Systems.      
According to the university’s press release, another project to be highlighted is the agriculture-related research in the fight against world hunger.
    Salter said, “The program will help with food security especially in areas that it is hard to grow crops.”
   Salter said the university has produced videos to promote the new initiative. Some are short thirty second snap shots for commercials during football, basketball and other athletics activities. Others are longer videos, produced to act as the University’s visual business card. 

The main video will be shown at alumni association events, receptions, send off parties and other activities that the university is either the host of or a major player in. The videos display and talk about leading projects at the university. 
“The university is making the switch to digital with new apps as well as being more visual,” Salter said, “New applications such as the interactive map on State’s website.”
   Salter said the information now is being presented in the way students want it by using more visual outlets and via social media.
     “The students are the stars,” Salter said, “The students are the ones in the videos and they are the ones leading in much of the research and developing projects.” Salter said diversity was a big part of our success and wanted to make it clear the students were the main focus of this initiative.
   Salter said the best way for this strategy plan to work is for the students and the community to work together. Not just the students programs or the faculty, but every program and outlet available. Salter said every group buying in would make this initiative a success.
   Salter wanted to thank the people that have worked and supported this initiative, and that this was just the beginning of the branding push. Salter especially wanted to thank the office of public affairs, who worked on this initiative along with their normal work load.
    Students also weighed in about the new branding initiative. William Holcomb, senior Kinesiology major, said he felt like the push towards more media exposure will lead to higher enrollment along with a possibility for more athletic success which might bring in more money for the university.
  Katie Wilson, sophomore majoring in Engineering, said, “I think the initiative creates pride to the fact that we have to live up to the standard of MSU.” Wilson said it created school spirit as well.
   Carly Wells, freshman Communication major, said the new branding initiative shines a light on areas of research that needs to be highlighted and the showcasing of different research programs might influence students to come to Mississippi State.