Racial Contract rebuttal: Racial conversations sparked around MSU’s campus, various views

For the past week the Reflector published articles regarding the Social Contract by Pranaav Jadhav as well as a rebuttal by Kyle Waltman. These two articles were informative and educational to readers. On one side, Jadhav believes a social contract exists and  has a hold on modern day America. On the other side, Waltman says there is no social contract in society. “This social structure of white supremacy exists only in the minds of those willing to buy into it,” quoted from Waltman’s rebuttal article. The important thing about both articles is they have sparked conversation on campus. If we cannot have an educated conversation about racial issues or important issues in college, then we have failed society by not being adult enough not to respect one another’s opinion. 

The social contract, as defined by Merriam-Webster is, “an actual or hypothetical agreement among the members of an organized society or between a community and its ruler that defines and limits the rights and duties of each.” To say that some form of a social contract does not exist whether it is racial or societal is an invalid statement. In our own society, we as Americans cast out people who are different and who do not want to assimilate to our societal norms. Some Americans cast out others for having different beliefs/religions, different sexual orientations and different skin colors. To turn a blind eye to the problems of our own society is ignorant and immoral. I love America but we do a wonderful job of criticizing other nations and countries on their problems but fail to recognize things we need to work on as a nation. 

In Waltman’s article he wrote, “Most Americans are white, have been white and will likely continue to be white. Media often portrays racism as a prominent problem.” Racism will always be a problem because pretending that we live in a society where some parents and families are not racist is asinine. Asinine is defined by Merriam-Webster as, “very stupid and silly.” There is no person on this planet that is flawless. We all are prejudice in some shape or form because we all prejudge one another on our lack of knowledge of one another. We use stereotypes to help fill in gaps we are afraid to ask about in our society. Yes, I prejudge sometimes and if you say you do not, you are lying to yourself.

Going off Waltman’s previous quote when he said, “Most Americans are white, have been white and will likely continue to be white.” This statement is invalid as well. The millennial generation (our generation) is the most racially diverse generation ever in history. According to an NBC news story, “50 percent say more interracial marriage is good for society.” 

Not only is our generation racially diverse but in social issues as well. An NBC article also stated, “69 percent support legalizing marijuana – up from 34 percent eight years ago, 68 percent in favor of same-sex marriage – up from 44 percent in 2004.” These are just three small facts that show how diverse our generation will be and how America will not and should not be viewed as majority of white Americans. 

One could make the argument that white people are really the minority when looking at a worldly scale compared to continents such as Asia, Africa and South America. These continents are full of people we consider minorities in America but looking at the bigger picture, white people are outnumbered by the ones we call minorities.  The Huffington Post posted an article in 2013 that was a follow up to the Nat Geo story that showed what they predicted America to look like in 2050. The pictured showed an array of skin tones, none of them being “white.” How can we “continue to be white” when diversity and interracial relationships are increasing?

In his rebuttal, Waltman wrote, “despite or contrary to evidence that suggests the black community experiences a cultural segregation imposed partially by whites and partially by themselves, in an attempt to celebrate their history, achievements and contributions separately.” He later said in the article, “Yet, the black community has BET, Ebony Magazine, Black History Month, etc. We celebrate the Black community as if they are part of a separate entity rather than as if they are our American brothers and sisters. Black culture is American culture, and treating it as anything more or less than that unintentionally promotes racial segregation in our culture rather than racial equality.” Both statements are true.

To educate most on why Black History Month is separate is because the founder Carter G. Woodson felt that the “Negroes” (called in his time) were being misrepresented in society, so he created Negro History Week in 1926. It was the second week in February because it was between Fredrick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln’s birth dates. The same reason goes for why Ebony Magazine, BET and other platforms were founded, not to segregate but to empower our people. When you are told by a racist society that you are not educated, you do not work hard and  you are lazy, you do not want to go home and hear the same thing from the television or entertainment outlet you are using. 

Sometimes it takes a community to uplift you from the negativities of others outside to make you feel unashamed to be black. To become upset with these things is so insignificant because in history classes we rarely discuss many achievements by minorities even though we claim to accept everyone’s culture. Yes, we need to accept everyone’s culture as a whole but first, we need to spark the conversation that some injustices still exist in our society. Racism did not die out in the sixties as most would like to believe. 

Just because you do not experience racism,  does not mean it is non-existent.  Remember this the next time you think about saying racism does not exist. Without dialogue or communication no one in our society will move forward. So, stop disrespecting one another, stop being ignorant and oblivious to others beliefs and stop being negative because someone has a different sexuality or may date someone outside of their race. Newsflash people, times will evolve with or without you so do not be left behind just because you are closed minded on certain issues.

It is okay to disagree with someone’s lifestyle but you should show that person respect for being a human being.  If you do not understand someone’s culture or, a life choice they have made, just ask them about it instead of stereotyping them because of your lack of knowledge on the subject.