Homecoming: Prescott makes SEC history with passing touchdowns

Sarah Story
Prescott makes SEC history with passing touchdowns

It was a homecoming scare early on as Mississippi State took on Louisiana Tech this Saturday. After being down 14-0 early, MSU dominated the rest of the game taking a 45-20 win over La Tech.
History was also made Saturday for Dak Prescott who became the third player in SEC history to score more than 50 passing touchdowns and over 30 rushing touchdowns.
 Prescott went 30-43 and had 347 passing yards to go with three touchdowns. He also got it done running the ball gaining 34 yards and scoring a single touchdown. Dak also broke the MSU record for attempts in a career, which give him every single MSU passing record. Dak is also tied with former Kentucky QB Jared Lorenzen for seventh on the SEC touchdowns responsible for list.
“I’m not going to say I’ve never thought about that,” Prescott said on his records. “I’m just worried about winning, that’s all cool and I’m sure next year it will be even better when I look onto it.
Dak was able to spread the ball around as six MSU receivers had more than three catches. Which is even more impressive when you look at the injuries at the Wide Receiver positon. Gabe Myles and Joe Morrow were both out, Fred Ross and Malik Dear both were hurt in the game. The receivers took the opportunity to show their depth today. Both Ross and Dear would eventually return but were limited and did not play much after their injuries.
De’Runnya Wilson led MSU with seven catches, 87 yards and two touchdowns.  True freshman Malik Dear had six catches for 70 yards, and Fred Brown had three catches for 63 yards and one touchdown.
“I think injuries were a part of it, a bunch of guys got in the field and had to catch the ball. It does show that one of the comforts Dak has as a leader is that he going to find whoever is open,” said Mullen on the spread of targets amongst the receivers.
MSU once again struggled to run the football as they only mustered 93 yards. Dak led the team with his 34 yards. After Dak, redshirt freshman Aeris Williams was second on the team with six carries for 26 yards and one touchdown. Redshirt freshman Dontavian Lee averaged the most yards a carry with seven per rush. He ended up with three carries for 21 yards. Outside of Dak no player had more than eight carries.
On defense MSU struggled early as La Tech scored two touchdowns in the first 12 minutes of the game, but after that only totaled six points in the final 48 minutes. J.T. Gray led the team with ten tackles. Chris Jones was disruptive but only found one sack for his efforts. The defense redeemed themselves, however, when redshirt Freshman Brandon Bryant took an interception back 77-yards to the house for the first interception and touchdown of his young career.
“As soon I caught it, I don’t run a 4.2 for nothing,” Bryant said regarding when he knew he would score. “It was a wonderful feeling, I got dog piled by all the guys, they were so happy for me.”
MSU is now 5-2 on the year and only needs one win to get to bowl eligibility. They are 4-0 in non-conference play and will finish out the year with five SEC games. The first of which will come next Saturday against an improved Kentucky team next Saturday. The kickoff will be at 6:30 p.m. at Davis-Wade Stadium. It will be broadcast on the SEC Network.