MSU welcomes ZZ Top

“Cause every girl crazy ‘bout a sharp dressed man.” Although most people recognize this line from the A&E hit TV show “Duck Dynasty,” the voice behind this well-known lyric is none other than the ‘70s and ‘80s band, ZZ Top. 

The iconic rock band, consisting of Dusty Hill, Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard, rescheduled its concert date and will perform Friday at 8 p.m. in the Humphrey Coliseum, courtesy of Music Maker Productions.

The band, originally set to perform Oct. 30 of last year at Mississippi State University’s Humphrey Coliseum, had to reschedule due to band member, Dusty Hill, sustaining a hip injury. 

MMP works to bring in a diverse group of artists every year. Last year’s lineup a performance by FUN at the Humphrey Coliseum, 2 Chainz at the MSU Horsepark and The Neighbourhood at the Old Main Music Festival.

ZZ Top is a classic rock band all audiences will enjoy. College students are almost certainly familiar with the group on account of the band’s catchy tune “Sharp Dressed Man,” used as Duck Dynasty’s theme song.

Billy Bob Thornton and The Boxmasters will open for the legendary band. Actor, director, producer and singer-songwriter Thornton, who was previously married to Angelina Jolie, started the group in 2007. The band’s facebook page notes its genre as “electric hillbilly.” Fans describe the band’s sound as a sort of country rock.

Drew Dygert, junior agronomy major and ZZ Top fan, said he was excited to see the band in October and was disappointed it was rescheduled, but he is ready to finally attend the concert Friday. 

“I’ve always thought of ZZ Top as legendary, and the fact that Billy Bob Thornton is opening for them is just amazing. I’m glad they were able to reschedule the concert,” he said. 

Logan Reeves, Student Association secretary, said the spring semester always comes with great entertainment, as the Old Main Music Festival is also just around the corner.

“April always brings incredible music to Starkville, and Music Makers Productions kicks it off this year on April 10 with global rockers, ZZ Top,” he said.

Tickets purchased for the Oct. 30 show will still be honored, and ticket information for Friday’s concert can be found on MMP’s official website, msuconcerts.com. 

Thomas Fitzner, student director of MMP, said student tickets can still be purchased online as well as in the Center for Student Activities  in suite 314 of the Colvard Student Union, and student discounts are still available.

“ZZ Top is a legendary American rock band,” Fitzner said. “This is the first classic rock show to hit the campus in years, and there isn’t any better way to spend your Friday night.”

Doors open at 7 p.m., Bill Bob Thornton and The Boxmasters will take the stage at 8 p.m. and ZZ Top will headline around 9:30 p.m.