MSU’s Service D.A.W.G.S. breaks stereotypes

Mississippi State University Service D.A.W.G.S., (Donating a Wonderful Gift of Service), will discuss various ways to break religious, racial and cultural stereotypes tonight from 6-8 p.m. in a fourth floor classroom in Moseley Residence Hall. The event is free, and everyone is encouraged to attend.

A stereotype is a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing. People tend to be stereotyped based on their race, religion, gender, career and other factors that should not matter when it comes to being socially accepted.

Bryan Kelley, an intern working in the President’s Interfaith & Community Service Campus Challenge, said those who attend the event  will benefit in many ways, and he is looking forward to hearing stereotypical stories that people encounter daily.

“This event will be beneficial for any person that can find the time to attend,” Kelley said. “Stereotyping      is a rampant issue within our society today. Most of the time, we hold many extremely negative stereotypes towards other groups of people and do not even recognize we hold such presuppositions about others.” 

Kelley said the event is meant to challenge attendees and their thinking when it comes to stereotyping to encourage a healthier environment on the university’s campus. He aslo said he feels the bias has crept into his life as well, and the event will be beneficial to create awareness.

“I most certainly feel that I am stereotyped on a day-to-day basis,” he said. “In fact, I would even go so far as to say that almost any person you speak to about stereotypes is going to admit the same thing.”

Kelley said one may not realize he or she is being stereotyped, and the event will create awareness of the hazards of stereotyping, as it is not always apparent.

“Stereotyping does not have to be an active event where a person makes a point of telling you how they are stereotyping you, but rather an event that can also occur passively in passing within the confines of a person’s mind,” he said. “Because of this, we need to make people more aware of their thinking, as well as how potentially dangerous stereotypes can be.”

Raven Carpenter, sophomore apparel, textiles and merchandising major, said she is stereotyped every day, whether it is because of her gender, race or overall appearance.

“I feel like I am stereotyped every single day. Even though it is not always a negative stereotype, it still makes me question myself as a person,” she said. “I understand that at times people tend to stereotype others without noticing, but that’s why it’s always important to watch what you say and the way you act around those who come from a different background as you.” 

For more information regarding the event, contact Bryan Kelley at (678) 548-4467.