Political science professor receives 2015 ‘Hero Citizen’ honor

Ravi Perry, an assistant professor in political science at Mississippi State University, was recognized as a 2015 Hero Citizen by The Andrew Goodman Foundation in January. 
Perry teaches Introduction to American Government and Black Political Thought at MSU. 
He calls himself an activist scholar, and he was one of 50 to be named a Hero Citizen. He said he was excited and honored to be chosen. 
“I was surprised by it – to be in the company of the other Hero Citizens that they named. It is cool to be among the list of the individuals that range from college students to civil rights legends,” Perry said.
The Andrew Goodman Foundation is an organization created in honor of Andrew Goodman and his friends who were murdered during the Freedom Summer 1964. These men were committed to helping attain equality for all people.
The 2015 Hero Citizens list recognizes individuals that make an extreme effort to promote social justice for all people. As someone who has always been interested in social activism, Perry said he uses his profession as a professor to encourage his students to realize the potential they have to be an impact of change.
“One of the privileges of being a professor is that you have opportunities to utilize the power you have in the classroom to impact the community you are in,” Perry said.
Perry also serves on the Millennial Advisory Committee, which The Andrew Goodman Foundation created to deepen relationships with the millennial generation.
Perry said he understands the influence the people of this generation (usually people born from 1982 to the early 2000s) have on society. 
“Young people always have been leaders of social change in the U.S. and the world,” Perry said. 
Gregory Dunaway, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at MSU, said he believes Perry deserves to be called a Hero Citizen.
“Dr. Perry is obviously a very good teacher, but what makes him a little bit different is that he really is committed to help changing the world,” Dunaway said. 
Perry’s commitment is evident, according to Dunaway.
“He’s been very active in terms of community engagement issues, which really try to help individuals and groups of individuals who have been historically discriminated against and marginalized,” Dunaway said. 
Dunaway also acknowledges Perry uses his knowledge and profession in practical ways. 
“He does very, very good and important work in terms of taking what he knows in terms of the knowledge of his field and applying it to the human condition,” Dunaway said.