Students in Starkville over break enjoy city’s offerings

Spring break has officially begun. Sure, most people will be away on extravagant vacations to exotic beaches, but who is to say students cannot enjoy their week in Starkville?

Nick Adams, junior communication major, said he will stay in town for spring break due to his job, and he does not mind the extra hours of work.

“I will be in Starkville over the break,” he said. “I work at Sweet Peppers, and since everyone is going home over the break, I’m probably going to rack up a lot of hours.”

Students staying in Starkville can pick up the slack for fellow co-workers who will be away during the break, but they can also set aside some time in their busy schedules in order to enjoy what Starkville has to offer.

Starkville’s third Annual Restaurant Week will begin next Friday, March 13. Created by the Starkville Convention & Visitors Bureau, its primary purpose is to allow everyone in the Starkville community a chance to sample a few of the best dishes each restaurant has to offer. Each time one samples a dish, he or she will have an opportunity to help a charity win $5,000 from sponsor Cadence Bank.

Jennifer Prather, special events and projects manager, said there is more to Restaurant Week than simply sampling meals. 

“The community is the driving factor behind this event because (it) is driven by the community getting out and dining in our local restaurants, where each time they eat, they have an opportunity to vote (for top charity),” Prather said.

The three winning charities announced in February include Habitat for       Humanity,  the  Salvation Army and the Autism and         Developmental Disabilities Clinic. A list of participating restaurants and more information on each charity can be found on starkvillerestaurantweek.com.

Students can also keep up with their fitness during the break because, with the exception of Monday, the Sanderson Center will remain open. Group fitness, swim and cycling classes will continue as scheduled. 

For   those who do not find working out to be their cup of tea, food is something almost everyone can enjoy. Every Thursday, Applebee’s hosts a karaoke night, which almost always involves a huge crowd singing along to the latest music and impressive drink specials.  

Ashley Rowell, sophomore elementary education major, said she will take advantage of the down time in Starkville.  

“I just plan on hanging out with my boyfriend, reading a good book and enjoying having the house to myself,” she said.