MSU women’s basketball three-game winning streak comes to an end against Ole Miss

Landon Scheel | The Reflector

The Mississippi State University women’s basketball team suffered a road game loss to the University of Mississippi this past week via a final score of 78-63.
In the first quarter, the Bulldogs had a slow start to the game. Ole Miss came out strong and never let up as they outscored the Bulldogs 20-8 in the first quarter.
By halftime, the score was 41-27, and the Bulldogs faced a 14-point deficit. While the Bulldogs tried to gain momentum, they were continuously bested by the Rebels. At the end of the third quarter, the score was 55-41, and Ole Miss was dominating.
MSU fought hard to stay in the game but could not find a way to pull out the win, which ended a three-game winning streak for the Bulldogs and set their record at 15-6 (4-4 in the SEC).
Bulldogs head coach Sam Purcell gave credit to the Rebels’ strong start and toughness throughout the entirety of the game in Oxford, Mississippi.
“I thought that the beginning for us is kind of uncharacteristic with the slow start in the first quarter. We have to give credit to Ole Miss: they were ready and came out and punched us in the face, and from there, we were in a dog fight just trying to stay in the game and claw back,” said Purcell. 
The Bulldogs finished the game shooting 41% from the floor and 25% from behind the arc, while Ole Miss shot 50% from the floor and 47% from the three.
After the loss to the Rebels, coach Purcell spoke about the success Ole Miss had against the Bulldogs.
“(Coach Yolett McCuin), I can’t say enough good things,” said Purcell. “She’s done a great job turning this program around, and they get after it, and they believe in defense. And unfortunately, in a game like we played tonight, they were phenomenal on the offensive end. It’s just one of those games where we try to get after it.”
Mississippi State will look to leave this tough loss in the past as they travel to Athens, Georgia, Sunday to play against the University of Georgia. Tip-off against UGA is set for 1 p.m., and SEC Network Plus will broadcast the game.