Students jam out during music-themed nights at local bar

Ivy Rose Ball | The Reflector

A crowd of people clustered on the floor danced and sang at Harry Styles/One Direction Night last Thursday. Rick’s Cafe has hosted themed nights since last semester with popular artists.

The atmosphere is like no other when stepping foot into Rick’s Cafe on one of its music-themed nights.
Rick’s Cafe, located off Highway 182 East, is providing fun for college students in Starkville. The bar has had several of these themed nights since the start of the school year including two Harry Styles/One Direction nights, two Taylor Swift nights and an emo night. Instead of live performers, DJs spin tracks from the artists or genre of music. 
Madeline Cook, a junior Spanish major at Mississippi State University and Rick’s Cafe employee, shared how these themed nights came to fruition.
“We (the staff) noticed patterns in the music that people listen to. There were a lot of suggestions, so we started a kind of survey,” Cook said. “There were a lot of options to choose from and an option to write in something because we don’t work without people coming to the shows and the bar. So, we wanted to take into account what the people that come here want.”
Cook also said there are ways to still have fun on these nights for someone who is not into big crowds.
“It’s kind of a ‘choose your own participation’ because you can sit and chat with your friends. You can get up on the stage and dance. It’s really your own comfort level what you do,” Cook said.
On Jan. 26, Rick’s hosted a Harry Styles/One Direction theme night. Paige Loper, a senior elementary education major, said that even with a busy schedule, she was excited attend the events.
“I do have a really busy school schedule, and I kind of took a risk coming tonight. If it’s really good and passes my expectations, I just might have to take another risk and come to the Taylor Swift night,” Loper said.
Positive social media attention, word-of-mouth and another option for fun are all factors behind the success of Rick’s themed nights. Emily Anthony, a senior communication major from Starkville, Mississippi, said these events can be a great environment for friends.
“I think it’s very fun, even if I don’t enjoy everything they put out. It’s still a good environment to create, and I can go with my friends,” Anthony said.
Even though themed nights are usually hosted on Thursdays, some patrons, such as Anthony, said Friday would be a better time to host the events.
“Fridays would probably be the best day to have them because that’s when a lot of people go out, and it gives people the option to go to the District or not. So, I think a Friday night would be better than a Thursday night,” Anthony said.
Despite having them on a Thursday, the atmosphere and participation are electric. People gather around the room and on the stage, jumping and singing, while others sit in the booths and sing along. There is a spot for anyone to enjoy however they would like.
While the themed nights continue to be a success, Anthony said other artists would increase the variety of artists hosted.
“I think it would be really fun if they did a throwback theme, like the 2000s, the ’70s or ’80s. I also think a country night or a different boyband would also be really cool,” Anthony said.
The themed nights at Rick’s Cafe continue to be a hit, as patrons dance the night away, singing along to their favorite Taylor Swift and Harry Styles songs. The events allow for a carefree night and a good time to sing one’s favorite artists’ songs with an uplifting and inviting atmosphere.

Grace Sullivan
Grace Sullivan, Staff Writer
Grace Sullivan is a senior communication major. Grace is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.