Hozier’s ‘Unreal Unearth’ is beautiful

Courtesy Photo | Rubyworks, Island and Columbia Records

Hozier released his third album ‘Unreal Unearth’ Friday, August 18, 2023.

If I could describe Hozier in one word, it would have to be “yearning.”
Throughout his career, Hozier has consistently created music centered around relationships and love.
With his latest album “Unreal Unearth,” he continues this trend in a favorable way. Ever since he released the first single “Eat Your Young,” I have been extremely eager to see what this album would have in store.
Unsurprisingly, the new album is incredible. Hozier’s inspiration came from Dante Alighieri’s “Inferno.” There are several references to the epic poem made throughout the album, which only adds to the experience for me.
The songs on the album are ordered in respect to which circle of hell each song represents.
Descent: “De Selby (Part 1)” and “De Selby (Part 2)”
Both songs are great and truly encompass every vibe that is to be heard throughout the entire album. They both beautifully introduce the descent into this album. Most specifically, the Gaelic in part one is an undeniable pleasure to listen to.
Circle 1: Limbo – “First Time”
“First Time,” while not my favorite, is still a solid song. It is a great love song. The lyrics are beautiful and thought provoking, and the melody is quite nice. Aside from the lyrics, however, I will say nothing sticks out to me about it.
Circle 2: Lust – “Francesca” and “I, Carrion (Icarian)”
In terms of the songs representing each circle of hell, the two representing Lust are my favorites. Both “Francesca” and “I, Carrion (Icarian)” are phenomenal.
“I, Carrion (Icarian)” is an obvious reference to Icarus in addition to being representative of the lust circle of hell, even though Icarus does not show up until the 8th circle in “The Divine Comedy.” This song’s softness and intentionality behind the lyrics is really what makes it unique.
“Francesca” is a beautiful song about a relationship so good that the hurricane of lust, the punishment for said sin in “Inferno,” would be worth the time spent in that relationship. The meaning behind this song is what makes it so  great.
Circle 3: Gluttony – “Eat your Young”
“Eat Your Young” is more upbeat and fast-paced than most Hozier tracks. It feels like his closest attempt to party music, even if it does not quite hit the mark. I will say, however, I think the slower “Bekon’s Choral version” is much better.
Circle 4: Greed – “Damage Gets Done (feat. Brandi Carlile)”
“Damage is Done (feat. Brandi Carlile)” is the only feature on the album. I like Carlile; I just am not the biggest fan of this as song for her to be on. I like her verse, but all in all, it just does not do it for me.
Circle 5: Unfaithfulness – “Who We Are”
Who we are is one of the simplest songs on the album. It carries a similar sound to the ending song “First Light” in terms of vocals, just with less flare. Saying that, the simplicity in it is very well done.
Circle 6: Heresy – “Son of Nyx” and “All Things End”
To be completely honest, I am a huge fan of instrumental music, but “Son of Nyx” just does not do it for me. I understand it is a transitional song, but even so, I am not a fan and would probably rank it at the bottom of this album. “All Things End” is a popular listen for the album so far with a strong, impactful chorus near the ending of the song.
Circle 7: Violence – “To Someone from a Warm Climate (Uiscefhuaraithe)” and “Butchered Tongue”
“To Someone from a Warm Climate (Uiscefhuaraithe)” may be best described as the dark chocolate of this album. I genuinely think it is good, but it is not my taste at all.
On the other hand, I believe “Butchered Tongue” may be the saddest song on this album. The lyrics are heartbreaking, the vocals are good, but the instrumentals may be my favorite aspect of the song.
Circle 8: Fraud – “Anything But” and “Abstract (Psychopomp)”
I cannot lie, I am not a big fan of “Anything But.” I personally think it is just bland compared to most of the album. “Abstract (Psychopomp)” on the other hand, is stunning. The idea of being stuck in a moment forever with someone is such an interesting and shockingly relatable concept.
Circle 9: Treachery – “Unknown / Nth”
“Unknown / Nth” has the most memorable point in any song on this album, being a heartbroken shout exclaiming, “Do you know I could break beneath the weight/of the goodness love I still carry for you.”
I believe this will be seen as the best song on this album. It gives hope, it takes it away and everyone who listens will fall in love and in pain for it.
Ascent: “First Light”
“First Light” is the song equivalent of laughing hysterically while crying your eyes out. This takes the cake for my favorite song on the album. The vocals are immaculate and the tune is great, especially with the slow build.
Overall, the song representing the ascent, the escape from hell and the end of a difficult journey hits the nail on the head. Due to that, I have to say it is, bar none, my favorite song on this album.
Hozier does not disappoint with “Unreal Unearth.” With this being his third album, he surpasses any expectations he set for his listeners with his self-titled and sophomore album, “Wasteland, Baby!” There is no doubt he will continue to please listeners again and again during his career.

John Baladi
John Baladi, Life & Entertainment Editor
John Baladi is a senior business administration major. He currently serves as the Life & Entertainment Editor. [email protected]