Homecoming King 2023: Cole Ray

Courtesy Photo | Office of Public Affairs
Homecoming King 2023

Cole Ray, Mississippi State University’s newly named homecoming king, is here to make an impact through philanthropy.
Ray, a senior marketing major from Birmingham, Alabama, said he always knew he would end up at MSU.
“My grandparents are big Mississippi State fans. I grew up coming to all of the games. I’ve always known that there was a special place that Mississippi State had in my heart,” Ray said.
On campus, Ray serves as speaker of the senate for the MSU Student Association.
“The Student Association is my favorite thing I am involved in. It contributes so much to campus, especially with homecoming week. It is my pride and joy,” he said.
While he is not busy with the Student Association, he is a member of the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity, works with Maroon VIP and serves as a College of Business Ambassador. In the past, he has held positions as a Freshman Year Navigator, New Maroon Camp Counselor and even served as Bully on the Hail State Spirit Squad.
Ray said that he was inspired to run for homecoming king based on the passion for the philanthropies he saw during last year’s campaign season. When the opportunity arose, he wanted to become a frontrunner for philanthropy himself.
Ray raised money for the Palmer Home for Children, a privately owned foster care home in Mississippi that helps children, single mothers and families.
“It pulls on my heartstrings because my younger three siblings were adopted through the foster care system. It has impacted my entire life. It was a no-brainer to what philanthropy I wanted to choose,” Ray said.
During the campaign week, Ray said he was overjoyed by the awareness each homecoming court candidate brought to philanthropy.
“When the time came, I was able to go into the election results with a happy heart. Win or lose, we were able to raise 500 dollars for the Palmer Home for Children,” Ray said.
Presley Johnson, a sophomore kinesiology major, worked alongside Ray as a New Maroon Camp counselor. She first met Ray at the staff retreat they hosted earlier this year.
Johnson said that Ray left a welcoming impression on all of New Maroon Camp.
“He was so excited to get to know all the new staff members. Cole just has a way of making everyone he meets feel wanted and important,” Johnson said. “During the week of camp, I was privileged to be Cole’s co-counselor. Getting the opportunity to serve incoming freshman and transfer students alongside such an incredible leader was an experience I’ll never forget.”
Robby Skelton, president of MSU’s Lambda Chi Alpha chapter and a senior in business economics, became close friends with Ray through their time together in Lambda Chi. Skelton said Ray has been a powerful leadership figure in MSU’s Greek life.
“He always encourages and aids our guys in getting involved on campus, he represents us to the Panhellenic sororities, and as a good social chair should, he has planned and carried out some of the best social events we’ve seen,” Skelton said. “To me though, the biggest impact Cole has had on our chapter is that he will go out into the community and represent us to the several organizations he is in, but he will also always return and support us fully and contribute however he can.”

Kate Myers
Kate Myers, News Editor
Kate Myers is a freshman communication major. She currently serves as the News Editor. [email protected]