Students entertain through campus clubs

Ivy Rose Ball | The Reflector
WMSV is MSU’s student run radio station. It first went on-air March 21, 1994.

Creative students looking to get involved in the entertainment scene at Mississippi State University have many opportunities, including the radio station WMSV, the improv comedy troupe Lab Rats and the student-led film organization The Scene.
WMSV
WMSV first went on-air March 21, 1994, with the song “Right Here, Right Now” by Jesus Jones. The radio station was built after a group of students petitioned to have a station on campus in the early 1990s.
As a non-commercial radio station, WMSV does not air advertisements and instead focuses on the music and the community.
WMSV programs a Triple A Music format, playing artists like Mumford and Sons, Dave Matthews, The Killers and Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats. Alternatively, WMSV broadcasts a jazz and blues segment on Sundays.
The station’s broadcast reaches up to 70 miles away from campus, giving students the opportunity to speak to a wide range of people.
Courtenay Sebastian, a junior biochemistry major, has been a DJ at WMSV since August 2022. Sebastian said working at the radio station has helped her come out of her shell and showcase more of her personality.
“The radio station has made me kind of more open, I suppose,” Sebastian said. “I feel a lot more extroverted. I feel like I’m having my own personality when I come on.”
Anthony Craven has served as WMSV’s general manager since 2015. Craven said he was a student worker for the station while getting his degree in communication at MSU.
“I remembered how much I enjoyed it as a student,” Craven said. “So much so that I actually had other radio jobs post-graduation.”
There are many ways to get involved at WMSV, including working as a live DJ, recording news segments and helping run the social media. Craven said that any MSU student, regardless of their major or experience level, can work at WMSV.
“The best thing to do is just to come by the station and talk to me,” Craven said. “Certainly, you can reach out via email or call, but the best thing to do is just to come in.”
To learn more about WMSV, visit their website.
Lab Rats
Another entertaining organization on campus is the improv comedy troupe Lab Rats. Founded in 2003, Lab Rats is the first and only improv comedy troupe at MSU.
Lab Rats hosts multiple shows each semester where troupe members take audience suggestions and perform short-form and long-form skits. Each skit is different and completely improvised.
Short-form skits range from 3-5 minutes, whereas long-form skits are usually 10-12 minutes.
David Hintz, a junior at MSU, quickly realized his passion for performing arts after starting his undergraduate degree as an aerospace engineering student. After joining Lab Rats, Hintz decided to change his major to communication and pursue a career in theater.
“I got into Lab Rats, and I was like, this is crazy that people will come and pay $5 for me to make them laugh. If I can make a career out of this, then that’s what I want to do,” Hintz said.
Lab Rats is audition-based, and “new hats,” as Hintz calls them, are expected to be at practice three times a week. Involvement in shows is determined on a voluntary basis, as they are understanding of students’ busy schedules.
Hintz said that there are no requirements to be a part of Lab Rats and that anyone who is interested should audition.
“We’ve got math majors, we’ve got a mechanical engineer, we’ve got biological sciences, we’ve got marketing,” Hintz said. “We’ve got a little bit of everybody.”
Hintz said his best advice for someone wanting to join Lab Rats is to visit one of their shows and attend one of their workshops. He said workshops are open to the public and can be a great place to get beginner advice before auditioning.
Hintz said being a Lab Rat means a lot to him, and he can always count on his troupe to make a rough day better.
“My favorite part of being a Lab Rat is the community that there is built within the troupe,” Hintz said. “You get to have all these relationships with people where you go into it prepared to break down those walls and get closer to people than you ever have before.”
Upcoming events, including workshops and shows, are accessible through Lab Rats’ Instagram @labratscomedy.
The Scene
Students who want experience with directing, editing and acting in film can get involved with The Scene, a film student organization that began in 2020.
The Scene’s website says their goal is to create one student-written short film each semester. Quincy Campbell, sophomore supply chain logistics major and president of The Scene, said he has higher ambitions.
“Right now, my goal is just to do 3 short films, and we’re getting to that goal,” Campbell said. “Next semester, I’m trying to do crazy number 12.”
In the future, The Scene also plans to film PSAs and commercials for events happening in the MSU community.
There are many ways to get involved with The Scene as a writer, editor or lighting technician, and the positions are flexible. Students are given the opportunity to try working in different roles and find what they like.
Campbell said his favorite part of being involved in The Scene is working together with like-minded people.
To get involved with The Scene, email Campbell at [email protected] or message the organization on Instagram @thescenemsstate.