Sponsored: Donors go ‘Over the Edge’ for children’s hospital

Courtesy Photo | Friends of Children’s Hospital

Bully went over the edge for the Friends of the Children’s Hospital one year.

Joe and Erica Carpenter found Children’s of Mississippi Hospital in 2021 after searching the country for a hospital to help deliver their unborn son, who had a rare condition called pentalogy of Cantrell.
“Children’s hospital was the only hospital that we found that was actually going to give us a chance to have the baby,” Joe Carpenter said. “… They welcomed us with open arms.”
Joe Carpenter said the family did not like other hospitals’ options for baby Elias and wanted a doctor who could give their son a chance at life.
The Carpenters found a doctor through Facebook and were surprised to learn he practiced medicine in Jackson, Mississippi, at the children’s hospital. The family lives near Baton Rouge, Louisiana, but switched their OB/GYN care to the Jackson hospital because of the “fighting chance” the doctors gave Elias.
Elias was born at the hospital and lived for five days. Though his time was short, the hospital staff showed love and care to Elias and his family with gifts and a private photography session. The staff also allowed the Carpenters’ parents to visit Elias despite the pandemic restricting guests in the hospital at the time.
“For being as tragic as the situation was, it was really a great experience because we were able to spend some time with him when other hospitals didn’t give us an opportunity,” Joe Carpenter said. 
After having a positive experience with the children’s hospital, the Carpenters wanted to honor their son through fundraising events with the Friends of the Children’s Hospital.
The Friends of the Children’s Hospital helps raise money for the hospital to continue providing personal care to children and their families. Friends has raised $45 million since its founding in 1989.
Last year, Joe Carpenter ran a 48-mile race over 48 hours and raised $3,000 for Friends. On April 29, he will participate in Over the Edge with Friends, and will repel over the edge of the 22-story Regions Plaza in downtown Jackson. The Carpenters have raised over $1,500 this year for Friends of the Children’s Hospital.
Friends of the Children’s Hospital has hosted Over the Edge for seven years. This is its first year at Regions Plaza. 
Alyssa Maines, a sixth grader from Brandon, Mississippi, is raising money to go Over the Edge for the first time. Maines’ aunt works for Children’s of Mississippi and introduced Maines to the event. Maines wants to be a nurse when she grows up, so going over the edge is one way to start her involvement with the hospital. 
Maines is the youngest participant this year and said she is “just a little nervous, but not really.”
Over the Edge has a maximum of 76 participants, and Friends of the Children’s Hospital hopes to raise $100,000 for the hospital through the event. There are still slots for people to sign up to repel. The event is from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on April 29 and will feature live music and food trucks.
Participants must donate $1,000 to the Friends of the Children’s Hospital to go over the edge. Participants can raise money with donations from family and friends.
In the seven years of Over the Edge, the Friends of the Children’s Hospital has raised $750,000.
If you want to go over the edge, visit Friends of the Children’s Hospital’s website. You can also donate directly to Friends of the Children’s Hospital if you cannot participate in the event.

Heather Harrison
Heather Harrison, Former Editor-in-Chief
Heather Harrison served as the Editor-in-Chief of The Reflector from 2022 to 2023. She also served as the News Editor from 2021 to 2022.