New wine bar opens on University Drive

Ivy Rose Ball | The Reflector

Located on 509 University Drive, patrons drink wine and cocktails at L’uva Wine Room.

L’uva Wine Room opened its doors on 509 University Drive in January.
Located beside the gelato shop Dulce, L’uva features a curated wine collection, signature cocktails, charcuterie boards and flatbread options.
The wine bar is open Wednesday through Saturday evenings. Robbie Coblentz, Bonnie Coblentz, Stefan Tribble and Laura Kate Tribble own L’uva. The four also own Dulce Gelato.
Melanie Hankins Booth, a Certified Specialist of Wine and long-time friend of the Coblentzes, is the mastermind behind L’uva’s wine selection. By curating the weekly wine menu, Booth said she teaches guests how to experience wine.
“There is so much that goes into a bottle of wine that we should stop just drinking wine, and we should actually experience it,” Booth said.
When making selections, Booth said she considers each wine’s chemistry to make appropriate food pairings. She said this process brings out the best flavors in the wine and food.
“There’s a lot of science into it. You know, they say that good wine is part art and part science,” Booth said.
Due to her extensive knowledge of wine, Booth said she can assist guests in finding a wine they will enjoy by asking about food they already like. She said those who enjoy lemonade, pickles and vinaigrettes are prone to enjoy acidic white wines while those who prefer black tea and walnuts may enjoy bold, tannic reds.
Bonnie Coblentz said the meaning behind the bar’s name contributed to its aesthetic.
“L’uva means ‘the grape’ in Italian, so we were trying to make a classy establishment for adults to have a glass of wine or a cocktail,” Bonnie Coblentz said.
L’uva’s storefront includes large windows, warm lights and classic decor. Robbie Coblentz said he would describe the location as “fabulous” and ensured the furnishing added the right mood.
“We’ve gone for unique finishes and touches: the black granite bar, the specialized bar area, the light fixtures. We’ve gone for a more metropolitan feel,” Robbie Coblentz said.
Robbie Coblentz said Starkville residents have shown out to support L’uva.
“The response has been tremendous. Everybody loves what we do here,” Robbie Coblentz said.
Robbie Coblentz said he and his team felt there was a need in Starkville for a place like L’uva.
“So many times, places in Starkville become college hangout spaces. We tried to create a space where college students are welcome but this is for professionals …adults of all ages,” Robbie Coblentz said.
According to Robbie Coblentz, they plan to start wine and pairing classes in April on Tuesday nights.
Outside of wine and food pairings, Robbie Coblentz said customers can order desserts from Dulce to accompany their dining experience.
“Since we own Dulce and L’uva, you can cross order. So, you can pull gelato and desserts from Dulce into L’uva which is really kind of fun,” Robbie Coblentz said.
As for the goals of the business, Booth said they want to educate guests on wine and wine pairings to enhance their tasting experiences and to have a skill to take home.
“That’s the beauty of doing classes because you wouldn’t go to, say Scotties, and buy four bottles of wine so you could have a wine tasting, and you wouldn’t go to Kroger and buy the ingredients to do three different dishes to pair with those four different wines on a normal Tuesday night. But if you come to one class and see how it works … then you get to have that experience at home,” said Booth.
 Booth said the owners want L’uva to be a place guests can gather and unwind.
“We are trying to set up a place where you can come in and unpack your day,” Booth said. “It might be over a glass of wine with your best friend or sister. It might be a special occasion. It might be because you’re hungry. We want you to come in feeling fancy and we want you to leave feeling like family.”

Elisa Stocking
Elisa Stocking, Staff Writer
Elisa Stocking is a senior communication major. Elisa is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.