Keen: Bulldogs’ wideout Caleb Ducking continues to waddle his way to the top of the SEC

Landon Scheel | The Reflector

Mississippi State University wide receiver Caleb Ducking’s transition to playing in the Southeastern Conference has been anything but easy. 
This time last year, the redshirt senior wasn’t a household name used by Bulldog fans across the nation. In fact, Ducking was lucky to even see playing time. He finished 2021 with nine receptions for a total of 83 yards after playing just a few downs in seven of the team’s 13 games. That was still an improvement from 2020, a season in which the Holmes Community College transfer didn’t touch the field at all due to redshirting in his initial year with the program. 
Rather than growing impatient with his situation or choosing to find playing time elsewhere, Ducking took the wait in stride. He recognized the opportunities that he had with the Bulldogs — even if it just meant learning from and modeling his game after some of the program’s standout receivers who were ahead of him on the depth chart. 
After MSU’s win against Bowling Green, Ducking spoke to the media about the improvement and strides he’s made at the position.
“I feel like I came a long way from me just sitting back behind guys like Makai (Polk), just sitting back watching him,” Ducking said. “And the year before, I was behind Osirus Mitchell, so I had a lot of guys in front of me who (were) doing good.” 
The watching and working behind the scenes has certainly paid off. Ducking made a name for himself in offseason practices, drawing attention from those around him and nearly solidifying a spot as a potential starter for Mississippi State heading into 2022. 
At 6 feet, 5 inches tall and 200 pounds, the wideout used his lengthy build and quick feet to his advantage. Ahead of the Bulldogs’ opening game against the Memphis Tigers, Ducking was officially named as a weekend starter. Starting positions might not mean much for wide receivers in the Air Raid offense — after all, the position rotates quite often — but it signified the senior’s growth as a player more than anything. 
It didn’t take long for Ducking to make his presence known. He totaled three catches for 73 yards and hauled in his first career touchdown, helping the Bulldogs secure a 49-23 win over Memphis.
The following weekend, the wideout notched his first game with two touchdowns and led the team with seven receptions for 56 yards. Ducking recorded 33 yards on four catches in Mississippi State’s loss to LSU but followed the rough game up with one of the best performances of his career so far. He tacked on two more touchdown receptions against the Falcons for a total of seven receptions for 96 yards. 
One of Ducking’s more unique antics is his memorable touchdown dance. Putting his arms to his sides, he waddles around the end zone like a duck — a play on his last name. His teammates have picked up on his celebration, and many join him in imitating the moves.
The waddle has taken social media by storm, with fans already anticipating what’s to come as soon as Ducking crosses the goal line. 
There has been some debate over where the trend started, but the playmaker was quick to address the issue. 
“I did it first,” Ducking said. “One of my friends back home, he gave me the idea (because) of my last name. So, I started doing it.”
The season has not yet reached its halfway point, but Ducking is already waddling up conference standings. He currently ranks second in the conference with five receiving touchdowns behind Vanderbilt’s Will Sheppard — a student-athlete who has totaled seven scores through five games. Ducking also ranks among the top 10 wideouts in the conference with 21 receptions and 258 receiving yards on the year. 
As MSU’s season continues, Ducking is expected to play a huge role in the Bulldogs’ success. The team is about to endure a rough stretch of conference play that features consecutive matchups against four ranked opponents in Texas A&M, Arkansas, Kentucky and Alabama.
The competition will be tough, but depending on how often Ducking finds himself waddling around under the stadium lights after recording another score, the Bulldogs could stand a chance to pull off some upsets over the next few weeks.