Surfaces, Bryce Vine will perform at Bulldog Bash

Landon Scheel | The Reflector

Joshy Soul performed at last year’s Bulldog Bash 

Surfaces, an American music duo from College Station, Texas, and Bryce Vine, an American rapper from Westlake, California, will perform at this year’s Bulldog Bash Friday, Oct. 21.
Bulldog Bash, an annual fall concert produced by the Mississippi State University Student Association, is the largest free, outdoor concert held in the state. 
The festival was first created in 1999 to help kick off the Southeastern Conference football season for Mississippi State and bring the Starkville community and university population together. In its first year, a crowd of around 2,000 people attended the event. As Bulldog Bash has expanded, the crowd has now exceeded to over 35,000 participants.
Bryce Vine, who will open before Surfaces, was born in New York City in 1988. He appeared on “The Glee Project,” an American reality series that served as an audition for the television show “Glee.” Despite being eliminated from the show, Vine continued to work in the music industry under both the Kiva House Lambroza and Sire Records labels.
Vine rose to prominence after the release of “Drew Barrymore” in 2016, which peaked at No. 46 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. In 2019, Vine released “La La Land,” which peaked at No. 75 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart and became his second Recording Industry Association of America certified platinum song.
Surfaces, the band that will headline this year’s Bulldog Bash event, was formed in 2017. Forrest Frank and Colin Padalecki make up the duo and are both vocalists and guitarists for the band.
After the band’s first studio album, “Surf,” released in 2017, Surfaces has reached massive success. The band has amassed almost 9.7 million monthly listeners on Spotify, with one of their songs, “Wave of You,” gaining over 105 million streams on the platform. In 2019, the band released “Sunday Best,” but the song did not gain widespread popularity until 2020 after it was featured on TikTok. The song has now amassed over 800 million listens on Spotify.
The festival will begin with the Maroon Market, a daytime event where local artists and companies line the streets of downtown Starkville. Visitors can shop, eat and hear music from local artists.
The winner of the Battle of the Bands, an annual event hosted by MSU’s Music Maker Productions in Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium, will open for Bulldog Bash. The competition involves five bands who are voted for through the Music Maker Production’s Facebook page.
Bulldog Bash has drawn past headliners like HARDY, The All-American Rejects and DNCE. A schedule for the upcoming Bulldog Bash event can be found on the event’s social media accounts (@msubulldogbash) and official website.
Editor’s Note: This is a breaking news article, and it may be updated in the future. 

Trey Barrett
Trey Barrett, Former Life & Entertainment Editor
Trey Barrett served as the Life & Entertainment Editor from 2022 to 2023.