MSU soccer remains indomitable after draw against Mizzou

Ben Shannon | The Reflector

Mississippi State University soccer delivered their ninth shutout of the season after a 0-0 draw on the road against the University of Missouri  remaining undefeated on the season. 
The ninth shutout shined a light on junior goalkeeper Maddy Anderson, who now owns possession of MSU’s single-season shutout record. 
The first half was quiet for both the Bulldogs and the Tigers, with only one shot placed on the goal in 45 minutes. For the sixth time this season, MSU found itself tied with its opponent at the end of the first half. 
It was in the second half that MSU served three back-to-back goal-scoring opportunities within 15 seconds. Graduate captain Alyssa D’Aloise fired MSU’s most promising goal attempt of the night, forcing Mizzou’s goalkeeper to make a diving save.
After the hard-fought battle against Mizzou, Bulldogs head coach James Armstrong discussed the difficulty of playing on the road in the SEC.
“It is always tough to get points on the road, particularly when you play a tough, physical opponent like Missouri,” Armstrong said. “We had some really good looks on goal in the second half and were unfortunate to not have capitalized on them; but credit to Missouri – they’re a quality opponent. Overall, we are really proud of the effort and fight from the team tonight.”
The Bulldogs turned around in the second half, firing six attempts at the goal in the first 18 minutes of the second frame.
MSU soccer is currently ranked No. 21 in the country, and with many talented ranked conference opponents looming, the Bulldogs hope to continue their success throughout the rest of the 2022 season.
With a record of 9-0-3 (3-0-1), the Bulldogs return home for a top-25 matchup Thursday against South Carolina at 6:30 p.m.