MSU women’s basketball gets back in win column in rout over Alabama State

The Mississippi State University women’s basketball team routed Alabama State University with a final score of 81-46 Friday night at Humphrey Coliseum.
The ASU Hornets opened the game with an early 5-0 lead, but this lead was only temporary as the Bulldogs quickly found their stride. Led by JerKaila Jordan’s nine points off three three-point shots, MSU’s offense rolled, scoring 24 points in the quarter. The Bulldogs’ defense slowed the Hornets’ offense, only allowing them seven more points to close out the first quarter.
Early in the second quarter, ASU’s offense attacked, scoring eight points in two and a half minutes while MSU scored three points. However, once the Bulldogs’ defense regrouped, the Hornets’ offense struggled to reach the net, only scoring three more points in the quarter. On offense, MSU recovered, pouring on 17 more points to end the half with a 44-23 lead.  
The Bulldogs’ success continued in the third quarter, outscoring the Hornets 22-13. MSU’s success rallied behind the efforts of Jessika Carter and Denae Carter. Jessika Carter recorded four points, four rebounds and four blocks, while Denae Carter contributed four points and four rebounds.
Bulldogs head coach Sam Purcell spoke about Denae Carter’s recovery from her injury last season and how he felt to see her production on the court.
“Well, I felt great. I’m just happy about her recovery. You know, when I took the job, I kind of talked about it. I told her in front of the team I’m going to treat her different because for just a great athlete that she is. This is the first adversity that she has felt in her life,” Purcell said. “So, for her, it was about just get your body back, get your mind back, dribble the ball and see if it all connects, and tonight, I think she’s back. She’s connected, so I couldn’t be more happy for her.”  
In the fourth quarter, ASU’s offense looked to make a push, but their efforts ceased as MSU’s defense powered through, only allowing them 10 points, and MSU’s offense added 15 points in the quarter.
The game ended with the Bulldogs running away with an 81-46 victory over the Hornets.
Double-double performances by Denae Carter and Jessika Carter and a double-digit performance by Anastasia Hayes highlighted MSU’s win. Denae Carter’s double-double marked her first of the season.  
Following the game, Denae Carter spoke about returning to the court this season after missing most of last season with an injury.
“It just felt great. I had no limits. I just played basketball. I was trying to be there for my team to just rebound the ball,” Carter said, “make some extra plays, and it just felt great.”
With the win, the Bulldogs improved their record to 3-1. MSU’s next game is at home against the Colorado State University Rams on Sunday. That game starts at 3 p.m. and will be streamed live on SEC Network Plus.