MSU clubs host a wide variety of Valentine events

MSU+Hearts
MSU Hearts

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and the clubs and organizations of Mississippi State University are ready as ever. Marketplace at Perry is having a Valentine’s Dinner, the Society of Women Engineers is celebrating with a Galentine’s Day Event and the Panhellenic Council is hosting a flower sale.
The pre-vet club is putting on Puppy Loves and Kitten Kisses, a fundraiser that benefits both the club and the Oktibbeha County Humane Society Animal Shelter. This will include a competition between dogs and cats, and there will be “energetic and adorable fur babies” on the Drill Field to draw people’s attention.
The Digital Media Center in Mitchell Memorial Library got started early. On Feb. 4, they hosted a Valentine Beaded Garland Workshop. Stephanie Agnew, assistant coordinator in the Digital Media Center, put together the workshop. All attendees created a garland from red and white wooden beads, a fringed tassel and a “Be Mine” heart that was printed on vinyl from the Cricut in the Maker Space.
Agnew is also helping the Financial Literacy Group with their event, Cute as a Button.
“We created some buttons, different Valentine themed buttons and they’ll be able to come in and make those, and I know for a fact that the Financial Literacy Group is trying to show them how they can do a gift that’s $5 or under. So this was something that we worked together with to see what they could do in here, where it would be an open space where they could come and do that type of thing,” Agnew said.
Even the Swim Club is showing out for Valentine’s Day. Swimming at MSU is having a bake sale on Feb. 14 on the Drill Field to raise money. The Swim Club President, Georgia Starr, is a junior majoring in psychology.
“We wanted to do a bake sale for funding and I think we chose Valentine’s day because a lot of people are going to be out around campus and on the Drill Field and we like the idea of having themes. Our cookies are going to be little conversation hearts, like they sell around Valentine’s day. We wanted to kind of do it with a holiday and also we knew people would be like ‘Oh crap, I forgot to get my boyfriend or girlfriend something’ so they can grab some cookies,” Starr said.
The money will be used to fund the club as they travel to meets throughout the semester. Due to the Sanderson Center’s pool being “.5 yards too small” according to Starr, the club can not host meets, but they are able to compete in them.
Another event happening on campus is Love on the Brain, which is being hosted by Housing and Residence Life, specifically the Residence Halls of the north zone, which includes Griffis, Nunnelee, Hurst, Ruby, Dogwood and Deavenport. Zach Agee, the community director of Griffis, is involved with the planning and execution of this event.
“That event is gonna be an educational event that is structured around body positivity, self-love and just kind of boosting your self-esteem. And so we just wanna educate our students on the importance of those three attributes. We were hoping to do something that doesn’t just go for our standard couples but more so just that body positivity image,” Agee said. 
The event took place on Feb. 7, and was the first event of the year for Housing and Residence Life.
“Yeah, so we actually have a lot of different events that we’re hoping to have,” Agee said. “And so one is gonna be like an affirmation station and so students are gonna be able to write affirmations about themselves. Also leave one, take one for other students. There’s also going to be a student showcase that we’re hoping to have. So students have signed up to perform their own interpretation of love. It could be through spoken words, that can be through dance, singing, all those different aspects of what love looks like for them.”
Agee said they hope to use this event as a springboard for further programming. 
“If it goes well then we’re hoping to do other events like this in the future,” Agee said.