T. Smith: These are the Diamond Dawgs’ best and worst walkout songs of 2022

Ashok Manick | The Reflector

Parker Stinnett in action against NKU.

One of the greatest parts of the 2021 baseball season, aside from the obvious, was singing along to “Small Town USA” with 15,000 of your closest friends as the legend of Mississippi State University took his place at the plate. While this season sounds a bit different, baseball is back in full swing, which means the soundtrack for spring 2022 is finally here. 

I believe that it’s an unequivocal fact that a good walk-up song can not only help build the incomparable atmosphere Dudy Noble is known for, but a song the crowd can get into can also help shift the momentum in favor of our good ole Diamond Dawgs. That being said, here are the best (and worst) walk/warm-up songs of the 2022 season. 

Von Seibert: “Welcome To The Show” by Cody Johnson

I truly don’t feel like this one needs explanation. Not only is this the perfect song for the hype factor, but it fits Siebert perfectly. He made his debut at the plate as a pinch hitter for Lane Forsythe, and while it was a fly ball to right field, it was contact nonetheless, and contact is a beautiful start. Siebert then got a hit during game three of the series against Long Beach State University and earned MSU a run when he was put in to pinch run for Logan Tanner against University of Arkansas Pine Bluff. Siebert is proving to be a reliable, solid player who truly knows how to put on a show. 

Brad Cumbest: “John Deere Green” by Joe Diffie

Now this is a song the crowd can get into. Like “Small Town USA,” it’s the perfect sing-along for Starkville, MS. This song grabs the crowd’s attention because it is one everyone knows and loves (hopefully). Even if it’s not Cumbest’s most productive at-bat, fans won’t be too disappointed because it is inevitable that singing this will put them and their buddies in good spirits. 

Pico Kohn: “Kickstart My Heart” by Motley Crue

First off, I’m disappointed more players have not chosen Motley Crue songs, but this might be the winner for best Motley Crue song to be picked for a warmup. Pitchers and rock music is undeniably the best duo in sports, and possibly the world, and this is one of those songs that makes you want to run through a brick wall. Pico Kohn may have just become my new favorite pitcher based on song choice alone. 

Parker Stinnett: “Ain’t No Rest For The Wicked” by Cage The Elephant

I was slightly heartbroken when I saw that Stinnett changed his song from “Black Betty.” I feel like that song encapsulated Stinnett as a person, but with a new haircut comes a new warmup song. Thankfully, this song has the same kind of edge to it that “Black Betty” did and allows fans to be engaged in his warm up. 

RJ Yeager: “Hurt So Good” by John Mellencamp

Now, I’m not sure if it’s because fans have now associated this player with “Yeager bombs” that this song throws me off, but it could not be further from what I was expecting from the prospected power hitter. While this song is a classic and Mellencamp is an incredible artist, his songs are not what I would expect to hear to get the crowd excited for your plate appearance. It’s a bit too calm and seems to be more of a background song than something that is meant to engage fans and amp up the batter. But whatever works! At the end of the day, if we can say, “Dawgs win again,” I can’t complain too much.