Through Camp Kesem, MSU students help families affected by cancer

Courtesy Photo | Camp Kesem

Since its founding, Camp Kesem has served over 8,000 children, and over 5,000 students have volunteered for the organization nationwide.

Camp Kesem outlines its purpose in ensuring that children affected by parents with cancer are never alone. Kesem provides an environment where these children in need can meet others going through the same experiences and counselors who offer comfort and support.
Mississippi State University students have a Camp Kesem chapter, and students volunteer at the camp and fundraising events.
“Kesem is all about creating a community for children who are experiencing similar hardships,” Make Magic Coordinator and MSU student Sydney Desiderio said. ”Our free summer camp allows children of any race, religion and background to let loose and set their worries aside for just a moment.” 
Camp Kesem is a national, non-profit organization that supports these families in need at no cost to the family. The organization hires college students as counselors to provide a fun, exciting way to tailor experiences specifically for the needs of families impacted by a parent with cancer. 
Each student volunteer has a unique experience of what Kesem means and has done for them. Desiderio said that once she heard about Kesem, she was immediately interested in working at the camp due to her background and future career in social work.
Madelyn Slaten, founder of the Camp Kesem chapter at MSU, shared how Camp Kesem has impacted her life. 
“I started my journey with Camp Kesem as a camper after my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer,” Slaten said. “My mom found the camp through Vanderbilt, and I spent four years (there), and I loved it. It had the world’s biggest impact on me, and it made me who I am today.” 
Slaten grew up going to Camp Kesem, so when she came to MSU and realized there was not a chapter on campus, she founded the current active chapter. She has now served as the director, called “Peaches,” at Kesem for three years.
Much like Slaten, Sam Stewart expressed only positive feelings about the camp. Stewart, a sophomore educational psychology major, began his work with Kesem to get involved on campus. He served as the online counselor, “Paprika,” and has traveled with the camp staff. Stewart now serves as a Make Magic Coordinator and helps plan fundraising events.
“People talk about a home away from home, and that’s what Kesem is to me,” Stewart said. “It is such a loving environment that every time I go to a meeting, we mess around with each other. At the end of the day, those are the people who have my back.” 
Though Kesem serves as a support system for the children, it has also brought many opportunities to the students involved. Sam said he has traveled to Chicago with other camp staff, and he plans fundraising events, like a Met Gala set to take place this April. This event is intended to raise $7,000 to help support the organization.
Slaten said Camp Kesem at MSU is actively searching for more student volunteers interested in joining the non-profit organization. There are openings for volunteers who can help with fundraising events, parking monitors, servers and table hosts. Kesem is also looking for male volunteers willing to work as counselors at this year’s summer camp.
Stewart explained that students can receive service hours and learn more about Kesem by participating in these events. 
For more information, direct message the Camp Kesem Instagram account @campkesem.msstate or email [email protected].

Lizzie Tomlin
Lizzie Tomlin, Staff Writer
Lizzie Tomlin is a senior political science major. Lizzie is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.